Audio from 2 soundcards simultaneously
Mar 24, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 17
My USB mixer is my primary "soundcard" when I want to play music through the stereo system, but I also have an X-Fi that I want to use on occasion (eg: just for headphone listening, or if I want to have a quick listen to something without having to switch on the all the audio equipment).
It'd be nice not have to manually switch around in the XP sound settings every time I want to change.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 17
Yes I do know of a way . . . .

The media player software I use has "Multi-Zone" function and capability which allows each of several sound cards to be set up as it's own "Zone".
These Zones can then be set to each play a seperate audio stream, or they can be Syncronized so that they can play the same audio stream.

If two or more zones play the same stream, and can be heard at the same time from your listening position, you could experience an echo effect. This can be minimized or eliminated by adjustments in latency within the program.

I do not know if any other software offers this ability, either in a media player or in a stand-alone program, but you can experiment with the 30-day free trial here: http://www.jrmediacenter.com/ (J River Media Center)

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 17
Sounds good, NiceCans. Ill check it out.
Actually, it would be rare, if ever that I would be listening through both at the same time so the echo wouldn't be a problem for me.

Mar 24, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctafonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good, NiceCans. Ill check it out.
Actually, it would be rare, if ever that I would be listening through both at the same time so the echo wouldn't be a problem for me.

There is an adjustment for the syncronization that allows this to be adjusted to remove that error and it's effect, but can be tough to get precisely right.
The multi-zone can actually be a great function if you wish to provide audio to your entire home or workplace.

Mar 24, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 17
FS 2006 is really cool. You can use one soundcard to output speech and the other for the sound effects music. So you get the real deal headset plus ambients
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 17
hmmm, that j-river media center looks nice but it's just way more that I really want. I dont really want all those bells and whistles and applications, I just want a single app/tweak that can bundle my PC's sounds out two cards. Maybe it doesnt exist
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 17
M-audio is mostly made with the idea in mind of audio capturing as well.

I have my AV710 outputing to digital and analog so speakers and headphones get the signals. I have no clue how to go accross two card since I would assume SOME driver conflict would happen.

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use Foobar for your audio player you can go to the preference and select which output to use. Thats how I have my 2 cards working simultaneously, Foobar output to ASIO, and the windows sound preference is set to the other card.

no, that's not what I meant by 'simultaneously'. I want the same sound coming from both soundcards (regardless of the app).

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

no, that's not what I meant by 'simultaneously'. I want the same sound coming from both soundcards (regardless of the app).

only certain sound cards can do this.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericlikeseatin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you give us the context of this problem? maybe it would help us find a solution.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's not a problem as such, it's just a matter of convenience (or laziness, which ever way you want to look at it)...as explained just a few posts up. here it is again in case you don't want to scroll:

Quote:

My USB mixer is my primary "soundcard" when I want to play music through the stereo system, but I also have an X-Fi that I want to use on occasion (eg: just for headphone listening, or if I want to have a quick listen to something without having to switch on the all the audio equipment).
It'd be nice not have to manually switch around in the XP sound settings every time I want to change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back