Audeze LCD4 vs ZMF Verite
Feb 21, 2020 at 1:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

snatex

100+ Head-Fier
I would love to hear some thoughts from my fellow head-fi members who have experience with these two TOTL headphones. I am currently running the LCD4/Qutest/V280 balanced combo and have been considering getting a ZMF Verite to see if I like it more than the LCD4. My current stack has great detail, depth, timbre, texture, and tone. I usually activate the Audeze LCD4 ROON DSP but I am not sure it improves the sound or not. With it on or off, however, I still always notice a slight suck out or veil in the frequency response (low treble?) that is a little off putting. Every headphone (and speaker) I have ever tested has had its pro and cons. I have never encountered any that are perfect. The LCD4 does more things better than any other headphone that I have ever tried and the con is something that doesn't bother me much. Also the big complaint about the weight or comfort of the LCD4 doesn't bother me at all. I like the fit and finish, though I do understand the ZMF are lighter and probably more comfortable. I am more interested in hearing how these two headphones differ in their performance and presentation. Do you think I might like the Verite more than the LCD4 or will this just be an expensive experiment? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 6
You may want to ask Resolve Reviews on YT, and he also has a HF, headphones.com and twitter accounts.

He owns the Verite and reviewed the LCD4 and you can say his comparison between the two in the LCD4 review.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 6
You may want to ask Resolve Reviews on YT, and he also has a HF, headphones.com and twitter accounts.

He owns the Verite and reviewed the LCD4 and you can say his comparison between the two in the LCD4 review.

Thank you. I have seen his stuff. Hoping to crowdsource some additional feedback from the head-fi pros.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you. I have seen his stuff. Hoping to crowdsource some additional feedback from the head-fi pros.

The LCD-4 are known to be a warm and lush sounding headphones, same like the Verite. If I were you I would go with something more different, like the SR1A and the Utopia.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 6
The LCD-4 are known to be a warm and lush sounding headphones, same like the Verite. If I were you I would go with something more different, like the SR1A and the Utopia.

I definitely want to stay in the warm and lush category. That is why I am considering the Verite. I am not a fan of bright or forward treble. I have heard the Focals and they are definitely not my cup of tea. I've also heard that the ZMF Aeolus might be worth checking out for its pleasing presentation but I am concerned that it might be too big a step down in detail retrieval from my LCD4.

Feb 22, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm willing to bet you'll like the Verite a lot, and maybe even win you over from the LCD-4 entirely. Don't have time to go into all the details of my own journey here, but long story short, I was once a huge Audeze fan and only sought out planar magnetic headphones, and now I'm in the growing ZMF fan club. The Aeolus is great too, and for me it beat out the LCD-3. But the Verite is on a whole new level, competing with the Utopia in detail and speed, while still retaining the warm/lush ZMF house sound. I have some Audeze headphones lying around gathering dust, so those will probably go soon. Feel free to PM for more details or questions.

Edit: Also you'll have more fun exploring tube amps with the ZMF dynamic drivers than Audeze planars.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back