Audeze LCD-X vs Audeze LCD-XC
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Dynamo5561

100+ Head-Fier
Hey there,

I am owning a LCD2C and like the sound of these. I wanted to see if the higher end models from Audeze provide that much more sound quality so that I maybe upgrade. So I have ordered a pair of Audeze LCD-X B stock and "unfortunately" got a XC. I quite like the sound quality of these and I think it's definitely a step up from the 2C especially regarding detail retrieval. But they want to charge more on the XC in comparison to the X. So I am unsure if I should keep them or send them back. Anyone have some side to side comparison regarding these? Are there significant differences? Closed or open is irrelevant for me, I am only looking for sound quality. Also I like the comfort of the Audeze and weight is no issue for me, so this can be ignored.

Thanks!

May 28, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Yes there are remarkable differences between these 2.
First off all, the higher cost of the closed back version is normal. The XC is markedly more aggressive in the low mids and in general quite less "reference" than the more relaxed X. Some people may consider the XC more exciting and I can certainly see why. I sold the XC quite fast because of the weight: 710 gr was just too much. Since I got the TH900 I also do not miss them anymore.
I kept the X for longer, until I realised that the cheaper LCD-2F were more open sounding, lighter and overall preferable to me. But also those are gone now.

Jun 6, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 5
Hey there,

I am owning a LCD2C and like the sound of these. I wanted to see if the higher end models from Audeze provide that much more sound quality so that I maybe upgrade. So I have ordered a pair of Audeze LCD-X B stock and "unfortunately" got a XC. I quite like the sound quality of these and I think it's definitely a step up from the 2C especially regarding detail retrieval. But they want to charge more on the XC in comparison to the X. So I am unsure if I should keep them or send them back. Anyone have some side to side comparison regarding these? Are there significant differences? Closed or open is irrelevant for me, I am only looking for sound quality. Also I like the comfort of the Audeze and weight is no issue for me, so this can be ignored.

Thanks!
Regarding all sound impressions of Audeze headphones (the LCD-X in particular) you must know which version you are looking to buy. Also if someone is offering you their impressions you MUST know which version they have gathered their impressions from. Otherwise these impressions may differ very drastically from what you actually hear. You are already dealing with person to person preference and hearing ability. Adding Audeze version variance to this is another sometimes difficult layer to navigate. When dealing with a 'B stock' Audeze LCD-X or XC I would navigate to this link here and check the serial number on your XC unit to see if it is 2020 version or a slightly (for LCD-XC) different (improved?) 2021 version. The differences between the 2020/2021 LCD-XC are somewhat subtle (I have had both). Where as people are saying (and measurements are showing) that the LCD-X is rather dramatically improved for the 2021 version. I have not heard your LCD2C or any LCD-2C but I have scarcely heard anyone say that they liked the LCD2C better than the X or XC. If you want an excellent comparison between the current 2021 LCD-XC and LCD-X see this amazing and concise review.
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 5
I have LCD X 2021 and LCD XC carbon 2021. The LCD X features a wider Sound Stage than XC and a better Bass than XC. The disadvantage is that the resolution is lower than that of XC and the high-pitched sound is rough. On the other hand, the characteristic of LCD XC is completely opposite of X. The high-pitched range is clean and the resolution is good. However, the disadvantage of XC is that the Bass is weak and the quality of the Bass is not good. XC also has a strong reverberation of Bass. On the contrary, X has a high-pitched reverberation. Personally, X is okay, but I think XC, which has higher potential than X, is a higher grade. Of course, it is the standard when applying EQ. In conclusion, XC is 1 weight class higher. XC is better.

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 5
I had the LCD2F for a few years, and have auditioned the LCD2C. I got a great deal on a pair of 2019 LCD-XC with Bubinga wooden cups. I consider these my reference headphones now. I typically recline when listening, and that takes a lot of the wieght off my neck.
I say keep the XCs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back