Audeze LCD-4: Amp/DAC recommendations
Nov 10, 2016 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Framgeld

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I need to start by saying I am a noob where this level of hi-fi is concerned, so please feel free to correct me where I am wrong, and offer advice where I am missing the knowledge. 
L3000.gif

I did some research as to whether whether the Chord Mojo can drive the LCD-4's. I also checked whether opinions were related to the LCD-4 100 ohms or the newer 200 ohms. Older posts for the 100 ohms variant seemed to generally agree that the Mojo can drive the 100 ohm variant. Newer posts regarding the 200 ohms variant seemed to be on the fence... and as I understand it, in general terms, the higher the ohms, the more power the headphones will require.

I have tried listening to Nightwish, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Black Eyed Peas and Kanye West... and they all feel like they are struggling in the bass section; not "crackling" as such, but more "distorting". I did a little research, and that research seems to point to the headphones not getting enough power. I took a chance when I ordered the LCD-4's, with the forethought that I "may" need to buy an amp. In my opinion though, I need an amp 
frown.gif
. While I am not really happy about spending considerable sums of money on amplification, it would appear that I have no choice if I want to get the bass to sound natural and not "badly forced and struggling".

Audeze recommended the Chord Hugo TT as a potential amp due to my use of (and enjoyment of) the Chord Mojo. Unfortunately, I cannot source a Chord Hugo TT in the UK, and one dealer informed me that Chord have forbidden the transit of the Hugo TT via post. I have been advised that there is a 6 weeks wait time.

My questions are:

• Is it correct that the Hugo TT cannot be sent by post?
  • If it is incorrect, does anyone happen to know a reputable company where I can purchase one in the UK?
  • The impatient person that I am... 6 weeks is far too long. Can anyone recommend other DAC/amp combo units that sound as good as the Chord Mojo and can power the LCD-4's?

My budget for the DAC/amp is £3000.

I only listen to my music using JRiver Media Center 22 (PC). I currently use the Chord Mojo via USB; an ASIO connection using Chord's own driver.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. 
dt880smile.png

Nov 10, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 2
For anyone thinking about the LCD-4's... please don't think the above is a negative statement regarding the LCD-4's. At a low-ish volume, I can discern the detail that these headphones can pick up. It is nothing short of staggering! However, I have no base point like others on the forum. They are most definitely a step up from my Shure SE535 IEMs 
tongue_smile.gif
. I will leave my "is it worth 10 times the amount of the Shure SE535 IEMs" until I have got a proper amp to drive them. Haha!

One thing I have noticed though, is that the longer you have the headphones on, the better the bass sounds. It is much richer / fuller. I think this is due to the headphones forming a seal with my head. I also wear glasses (I have a VERY cheap pair of wireframe budget "emergency" glasses from Vision Express that I can wear perfectly and they don't affect the seal).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back