ATH M-50 or V-MODA Lp's A good upgrade?
Feb 27, 2012 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Purithian

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

So as of now i own some Skullcandy skullcrushers and i like them, but im looking for more of a higher quality headphone.
I basically just listen to electro music, some metal, rap and hard rock. thats about it though. Im trying to figure out which of these two would be a better pick for the price? 
Carying and moving them isn't a problem to me, nor is the asthetics (though its a bonus as i will walk around with them.) Out of these two which would be better in the 150 range? i can get the M-50s for 160 or the VMODAs for around 120. I really like the look of the V-Modas and the bass seems to be said to be much better than the ATH M-50s? not forsure.

I'm sorry if theres really bad grammar in this, but im dyslexic and cant help it much. Keep in mind i will be using the headphones for creating dubstep and electro too. 

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 24
From what I've heard the Crossfade LP's were "meh" but the M-80 and Crossfade LP2 were much better improvements (if your looking into V-Moda). If you want to get one of those two you listed I would say go for the M50s though I would recommend you buy them used because many people hardly use theirs and you can get them like new and save $30-40! Although they are fantastic headphones, I would say to try to get them for less because the price has really gone up in the past couple months from $100 to ~150 which is outrageous IMO. They are really well-rounded headphones that do a great job in most if not all genres and I simply can't recommend them enough. True, the Crossfade LP have much more bass but from my personal experience I feel that the M50s have a quality bass and it is far from being unnoticed. You will definitely feel the kicks and drums in your music.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 24

Quote:
From what I've heard the Crossfade LP's were "meh" but the M-80 and Crossfade LP2 were much better improvements (if your looking into V-Moda). If you want to get one of those two you listed I would say go for the M50s though I would recommend you buy them used because many people hardly use theirs and you can get them like new and save $30-40! Although they are fantastic headphones I would say to try to get them for less because the price has really gone up in the past couple months from $100 to ~150 which is outrageous IMO.

Alright so go more twards the M50s? and yeah i was thinking of getting the LP2's but i really liked the pearl white :/

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 24
If you want to actually use them for producing music, perhaps the M-80 will be a better choice since it's more balanced.  The LP2 was designed to sound like you're in a club, which is usually less-than-ideal for actual music production.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 24

Quote:
Alright so go more twards the M50s? and yeah i was thinking of getting the LP2's but i really liked the pearl white :/

Yes, another headphone that you may want to check out is the Shure SRH840 headphones, though I have not used them personally many head-fiers recommend them in around that price range so they must be a pretty good pair of cans! They have a great bass as well.

Feb 28, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 24
So would the crossfires be an upgrade from my Skullcandy skullcrushers? i know theres probbably better headphones.. but 1 ive heared they sound pretty good and 2 they look nice (looks arnt too big of a deal to me though)

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 24
I own the ATH-M50s, and like you i upgraded from a pair of skull candies. All around the sound quality on these headphones are absolutely amazing, and use them to listen to music ranging from jazz to blues, rock to hip hop, drum and base to dub step. In addition to that i use them for gaming and movies !

I bought them brand new for $139 off of ebay brand new in box unopened. In fact the guy i got them for is almost sold out he has one pair left for that price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATHM50-Prof-Monitoring-Headphone-Free-US-Ship-ATH-M50-/180831138263?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item2a1a6031d7

*** UPDATE***  He sold out of his bran new Headphones and replaced his listing with "Used Perfect condition" phones.

Feb 29, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 24
You should audition the two headphones before you purchase them. Saying the M50's have little bass is exaggerated, but it seems like you really want to focus on some headphones that emphasize more bass than anything so i think when bass is your main factor in buying, the M50's are probably not what you want.

Quote:
Hmh i might buy them, Still debating on the two.. ive heard the M50's had little bass, and all i listen to is bass oriented music. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back