ATH-EW9 cable
Jan 26, 2006 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

hhhonchor

New Head-Fier
Hello people,

Having read these forums for a while now I have finally stepped out of the shadows in order to address a question which merely lurking has been unable to answer.

Has anyone attempted to replace the cable on the ATH-EW9?

My problem with the existing cable is that I find it too flimsy and easily tangled. I also find the cable length to be unsuited to my tastes in that it is too short without the extension and too long with it, I would prefer a single length of around one metre or alternatively a one metre cord with a 0.5m extension.

I own a pair of sony clip-ons (Which screech like a baby.) which have a cable with plastic shrouding that makes them very manageable both while wearing and when removing from my pocket. This cable is also better lengthwise.

I am actually considering switching the cables although I am concerned that this will affect the sq of the EW9 for the worse, any thoughts?

An alternative would be to purchase a lightweight aftermarket cable and alter it so it can be worn behind the neck. I understand that most, if not all aftermarket cables are heavy and that this could seriously mess with the comfort of these things, so does anyone know of a lightweight and cheap (Since I may well ruin it.) replacement cable?

A third option would be to purchase a set of broken phones and transplant the cable from these, given that this is likely to be light relative to an oehlbach or the like.

The only other thing I can think of as a solution is to keep the same cable and add some kind of shrouding to aid its rigidity and stop the rubber outer from gripping on my neck and collar, although this obviously wont address the issue of length.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back