ATH-AD700 to xbox 360
Jun 21, 2009 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bodsD

New Head-Fier
hey i am buying new ATH-AD700 and i want to use them with my xbox.. so a couple of questions:
will i get better output if i plug them to toslink instead of straight to my tv?
how will i be able to increase the volume if i'll plug them directly to toslink?
btw how does the sound quality of the xbox would it be better to hear music through there or through my pc(on board soundcard ALC850)?
and will i be able to hear 5.1 surround directly to my headphones?

tnx in advance!

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by bodsD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey i am buying new ATH-AD700 and i want to use them with my xbox.. so a couple of questions:
will i get better output if i plug them to toslink instead of straight to my tv?
how will i be able to increase the volume if i'll plug them directly to toslink?
btw how does the sound quality of the xbox would it be better to hear music through there or through my pc(on board soundcard ALC850)?
and will i be able to hear 5.1 surround directly to my headphones?

tnx in advance!

Toslink is a digital standard your headphones cannot receive digital signals, you have to connect them to an analog output. If the xbox has an analog output you can use that.

5.1 on headphones requires software to emulate the effect of splitting the signal to multiple speakers, this depends on the soundchip/card and the sound application.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 9
so it doesn't matter whether i plug the headphones to the RCA or the Toslink? (using a normal adapter)

does xbox emulate this effect? or did u mean i should buy some kind of amp?
(sry for the noob questions)

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

so it doesn't matter whether i plug the headphones to the RCA or the Toslink? (using a normal adapter)

does xbox emulate this effect? or did u mean i should buy some kind of amp?
(sry for the noob questions)

You cannot plug your headphones into the Toslink. Toslink is digital and your headphones cannot accept a digital signal regardless of any adaptor

You must plug your headphones into an analog output.

I just downloaded the manual, wow Microsoft do not believe in doing anything sensibly.

Okay now I see your problem.

Does your TV have a headphone socket , if so just use that.

To use the toslink you need a DAC and headphone amplifier.

For music you are probably better off using your PC.

To get 5.1 on headphones you need something like this

http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/11437/...Now-Available/

normal headphones do not do 5.1 unless you have software to mimic it. The XBOX manual does not volunteer info on if it can mimic this.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 9
ok tnx a lot you saved me some money and a headache.. i'll just use the TV socket. (that means no surround right?)
off the topic will my current soundcard (ALC850) make the best out of these headphones?
if not, could u name a nice not too expensive card that will? i only need it for these headphones actually...

just saw your edit, i think i saw some outside device that mimic it too..
which is probably better than buying lesser headphones just for mimicked surround(at least IMO).
edit 2: what i saw was the Astro MixAmp but i don't think it's worth the money.. at least not for me...
also does soundcards does this emulation? (for movies mainly)

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

ok tnx a lot you saved me some money and a headache.. i'll just use the TV socket. (that means no surround right?)

Correct

Quote:

off the topic will my current soundcard (ALC850) make the best out of these headphones?
if not, could u name a nice not too expensive card that will? i only need it for these headphones actually...

I have a pair of AD700s, they are dead easy to drive, I would try with your Realtek first.

I just switched my output from digital to the Realtek analog output on my Lenovo, sounds pretty good to me. and plenty of power

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 9
ok tnx again.. guess after all it's just plug and play...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just switched my output from digital to the Realtek analog output on my Lenovo, sounds pretty good to me. and plenty of power

maybe i totally misunderstood you, but can you also plug these headphones to digital output?
confused_face(1).gif

and can you name cheap but good soundcard just in case i'll decide to upgrade...

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

ok tnx again.. guess after all it's just plug and play...

maybe i totally misunderstood you, but can you also plug these headphones to digital output?
confused_face(1).gif

and can you name cheap but good soundcard just in case i'll decide to upgrade...

No, you cannot plug the AD700s into a digital output, my PC has both digital and analog outputs. I normally use the digital output and send the signal to an external DAC.

As for other soudcards all three of my PCs have Realteks so I am sorry I cannot offer an opinion on other cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back