Astrodyne Switching Power Supplies?
Mar 20, 2008 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PITTM

500+ Head-Fier
I hadn't seen the headroom site in a few months and today I was a bit bored at work and was looking around and saw the Astrodyne switching power supply with the 5 pin connector for the Micro/Desktop/Home lines. I have a MicroDAC from the original run. How much of an improvement does the Astrodyne provide? I remember I was one of the people who had been bugging Tyll to do this and I am certainly considering ordering one, just kind of interested in more information/impressions. Thanks!

rj
580smile.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hadn't seen the headroom site in a few months and today I was a bit bored at work and was looking around and saw the Astrodyne switching power supply with the 5 pin connector for the Micro/Desktop/Home lines. I have a MicroDAC from the original run. How much of an improvement does the Astrodyne provide? I remember I was one of the people who had been bugging Tyll to do this and I am certainly considering ordering one, just kind of interested in more information/impressions. Thanks!
rj
580smile.gif

Hi There PITTM,

We feel the Astrodyne power supply will provide a plainly audible improvement over the linear-regulated AC ps we provide. Certainly the international-use Astrodyne exhibits way lower current ripple and has a more precise and robust voltage tracking regulator than the linear PS 'wall-warts' !
smily_headphones1.gif

You can always pick one up and try it out for yourself. The HeadRoom 30-day refund/exchange period remains in effect!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Mar 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi There PITTM,

We feel the Astrodyne power supply will provide a plainly audible improvement over the linear-regulated AC ps we provide. Certainly the international-use Astrodyne exhibits way lower current ripple and has a more precise and robust voltage tracking regulator than the linear PS 'wall-warts' !
smily_headphones1.gif

You can always pick one up and try it out for yourself. The HeadRoom 30-day refund/exchange period remains in effect!
biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

I'd actually like to make a suggestion: I just purchased an Ultra Micro Amp along with the Astrodyne PS. I didn't realize that the regular wall-wart would be included in the package too. It's utterly redundant and therefore useless for me, as I imagine it would be for most people who purchase new amps and the Astrodyne (or DPS) at the same time. You should strongly consider letting people choose not to receive the extra wall-wart. It would be cheaper for you, possibly cheaper for the customer, and above all, much less wasteful and better for the environment.

Mar 24, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #4 of 7
X2 on this. The wall wart is sort of useless. I too have the Astrodyne's and so the wall warts are just in the original HR boxes. Even a small credit would be better than nothing. I would even take a credit towards another purchase.

Mar 24, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 7
Could either of you guys above who have both write a little mini review of the differences you hear? Or link me to the thread where you have already done so if you have? That would be pretty sweet. I imagine I would get less using this with the MicroDac than I would with one of the amps yes?

Mar 25, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Could either of you guys above who have both write a little mini review of the differences you hear? Or link me to the thread where you have already done so if you have? That would be pretty sweet. I imagine I would get less using this with the MicroDac than I would with one of the amps yes?

I haven't had it long enough yet (4 days), but I'm also not going to have time to really do back-and-forth testing. It would be better to find someone who has used the wallwart for a time, and then switched to the Astrodyne. I'm sure there are posts out there.

However, to your question about the DAC -- the distinct impression I've gotten from the folks at HeadRoom is that the DAC is even more power hungry than the amps for any given board (i.e., home vs. home, max vs. max). For instance, they say the astrodyne will provide adequate power to the Desktop Max, and even to the Desktop Balanced (with two Home modules), but once you add the "extremely power hungry" DAC option, you've got to go DPS, particularly for the Max DAC board. I realize the main difference is that it's cumulative, because a single PS has to power two boards instead of one in that case, but if it can handle the double circuit in the balanced desktop by itself, I get the impression it's also that the DACs -- particularly the Max DAC -- are power hungry.

Mar 26, 2008 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

To be honest, it's very difficult to compare. It's definitely a psychoacoustic issue for me. I paid a bucket of money for the components, they say it's better, I like what they make and I trust them so what the hell, it's got to sound better doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back