Astrodyne Power Supply to use with Micro DAC at 220 volts?
Aug 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cooperpwc

Headphoneus Supremus
I will be moving soon to a 220 volt jurisdiction. This poses a quandary for my beloved Micro DAC with its 120 volt adaptor. Three options:
1. Use a stepdown transformer
2. Order the 220 volt adaptor
3. Order the Astrodyne Power supply (which has auto-switching between voltages).

I would appreciate any input. Will the 220 volt adaptor provide better SQ than a stepdown transformer with the original adaptor? Would the Astrodyne power supply provide any further improvement over the 220 volt adaptor when used with the Micro DAC?

Lastly, thinking forward, will the Astrodyne Power Supply be an investment that will improve the performance of a future purchase of the Ultra Micro DAC over the 220 volt adaptor that I could order with it? How about with the Desktop Millett Hybrid should I go that route?

Thanks in advance!

Aug 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 12
Hello CooperPWC,

The high road here is likely the Astrodyne since its internal voltage regulator/tracking circuits are superior to using any adaptor or a 'consumer-grade' stepdown transformer. The Astrodyne PS is certainly a higher-quality power supply when compared to the basic linear regulated AC wall-warts supplied with the Micros ...Plus you can use it worldwide anywhere you can find an outlet (100v-240v)

Cheers!
Jorge C.
HR Sales & Product Manger

Sep 6, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 12
Did you buy the Astrodyne psu? I'm interested in how much it can improve the Micro DAC..

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you buy the Astrodyne psu? I'm interested in how much it can improve the Micro DAC..

The Astrodyne PS delivers a small improvement to the sonics of the Micro DAC over the provided HeadRoom AC wall-wart ps -- but by a VERY small & nuanced margin (to my ears!) ... It may add a bit more smoothness and 'naturalness' to the DAC sonics -- if that's even a word!...
cool.gif

You can certainly order one up and try for yourself. As always, our standard 30-day HeadRoom refund/guaranty period ensures you'll like what you hear. If not, simply send the Astrodyne back for a 100% refund of the purchase price
eggosmile.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales & Product Manager

Sep 19, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks Jorge!
As I live in Sweden it would be hard to send back. I've been thinking of buying a new DAC but the Micro DAC is musical and at the same pretty neutral so I'm thinking of keeping it because it may be a collectable DAC some day as it's the only battery powered Headroom DAC. So I thought an upgrade would be the best thing for me and maybe a new power supply + power cable is the way to go. Honestly I think there's very little difference between sources anyway.

Sep 21, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jorge, I just checked Headroom's website and the "older" Micro Dac is shown with the older PSU. Can It be sold with the atrodyne psu?

One can order the separately-sold Astrodyne international PS with any HeadRoom Micro product [except the 2007 Portable Micro rechargeable unit] ... Reply directly to me anytime if interested; we'll be glad to discount the Astrodyne 10% with any 'older' HR MicroDAC purchase...

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One can order the separately-sold Astrodyne international PS with any HeadRoom Micro product [except the 2007 Portable Micro rechargeable unit] ... Reply directly to me anytime if interested; we'll be glad to discount the Astrodyne 10% with any 'older' HR MicroDAC purchase...

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Great, thanks.

Sep 23, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 12
By way of update, I moved to China and just took my original 110 volt Micro DAC adaptor with me. Once here I bought a huge stepdown transformer - I had to buy a 500 watt model to get that crucial third plug for grounding. It cost me RMB 130 - less than $20 - and the result is a clean sound with a black as night background. So all is well that ends well.

(Actually i tried to get a compatible 220 volt adaptor. No problem getting one for my Millett Hybrid - they have endless AC adaptors at a Shanghai computer centre called MeiLuoCheng. But the Headroom adaptor is quite unusual with its DIN plug and it's made in Taiwan. No luck.)

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #12 of 12
Lovely. In a moment of remarkable brain cramping, I plugged my 110 volt adaptor into a 230 volt power bar and fried it. So I think ther will be an Astrodyne in my future after all.

Here's the intersting thing: I'm running off 9 volt batteries for now and the SQ is at least as good as before - I'm very pleased. Also what they say about the uneven drain is absolutely true. When the unit starts stuttering (time to replace cells) the left battery (seen from rear) is still over 9 volts but the right close to 6. So you just move the left to the right slot and put a new battery in the left. That equals many hours of power (I think at least 5 - maybe more, still early to tell - and I'm using $1.25 Chinese Alkalines) on really just one 9 volt cell. Impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back