ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 + PS4 Woes
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wilflare

100+ Head-Fier
okay, I've been trying to figure this out for weeks now and I can't find any solution - hope someone can help with this

My current configuration
Headphones - Philips Fidelio X1
Microphone - V-MODA BoomPro
and the ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 (latest firmware)

Previously,
I have plugged my Mixamp to my PS4 via Optical and USB (for Mic and Power)
however, my voice commands do not get recognized by the PS4 (it always returns a voice too loud error)

- When I plug in my X1 + Boompro directly to the PS4, all my voice commands work without issue.

Now, I went ahead and got the Turtle Beach PS4 Chat Cable and I use it in the following way
ASTRO Mixamp Pro 2013 XBL Chat Output > TB PS4 Chat Cable > DS4
- I use a separate power source for the USB connection (not plugged to the PS4)

In this configuration, my voice commands work perfectly! everything gets detected without a hitch.

HOWEVER, if I were to NOT use the TB PS4 Chat Cable and plug the ASTRO USB directly to the PS4

my voice commands DO NOT work - and they do no get detected
My voice is heard on party chat though.

Can someone please explain to me what's going on? Is there something inherently wrong with my Mixamp? (it happens with my two Mixamps - one's a replacement)

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Let me get this correct:

Voice command works:
1) Fidelio X1 + BoomPro  (Plugged into the controller? I'm not too familiar with the BoomPro, but it looks like it acts as a built-in Y-Splitter?)
2) a) You have the Mixamp plugged into an external USB power source.
    b) Mixamp is connected to PS4 via Optical
    c) X1 + BoomPro is connect to MixAmp via the headphone connection on MixAmp
    d) You run the Turtlebeach chat cable from the Xbox Chat Output (on mixamp) to the DS4.

Voice Commands DO NOT work:
1) When you try to connect the MixAmp to the PS4 via USB and not use the TB chat cable.

Did I get that right? If so, tell me. I might have some additional input for you in a few minutes, gonna run some tests of my own on the PS4.

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 9
  Let me get this correct:

Voice command works:
1) Fidelio X1 + BoomPro  (Plugged into the controller? I'm not too familiar with the BoomPro, but it looks like it acts as a built-in Y-Splitter?)
2) a) You have the Mixamp plugged into an external USB power source.
    b) Mixamp is connected to PS4 via Optical
    c) X1 + BoomPro is connect to MixAmp via the headphone connection on MixAmp
    d) You run the Turtlebeach chat cable from the Xbox Chat Output (on mixamp) to the DS4.

Voice Commands DO NOT work:
1) When you try to connect the MixAmp to the PS4 via USB and not use the TB chat cable.

Did I get that right? If so, tell me. I might have some additional input for you in a few minutes, gonna run some tests of my own on the PS4.

that is correct!

as long as the Mixamp is the one processing the mic input, voice commands do not work (but my voice is heard over party chat though... weirdly enough)

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 9
I did some testing with a (hopefully) similar setup. I used a pair of KRK 8400s and a Antlion ModMic w/ an Astro Mixamp. I have two possible solutions:

1) Have you tried lowering your mic input volume through the PS4? I noticed plugging my modmic through the mixamp caused a) a slight degrade in mic quality and b) a noticeable increase in volume. I had to greatly lower my mic volume for it to trigger voice commands.

2) The PS4 handles the mixamp...poorly. It recognizes the mixamp as a gaming headset, but does not always configure it properly. You can go into the audio device settings and select Astro mix-amp as the input device. However, Sony hasn't implemented proper support of separate input/output devices. Thus, the PS4 will force all audio through USB and not over optical. You'll lose the mix-amp virtual surround sound. There is a work around, however. You can put plug a Y-Splitter into the controller jack, and then unplug it. You'll receive audio through optical, and mic input will be transmit through USB. (Forgive me, but the name of the user who came up with solution escapes me.)

I know these solutions may seem obvious, so if neither of them work, I'll try to figure something else out.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 9
thanks for the replies!

On Mic Volume on the PS4
- I have it turned all the way down. Voice Commands are still not recognized for some strange reason. In the odd times it does get recognized, it returns the error that it is too loud (but I'm already at the lowest possible volume for the mic setting on the PS4)

On Input/Output Devices on PS4
- I tried this as well. I have them set properly (to the Mixamp) and still get sound over Optical connection. In Party Chat, my voice is heard. but Voice Commands just do not get picked up for some strange reason.

I have plugged the Mixamp to my PC and did a recording - it turned out fine, no distortion.

Nov 5, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 9
I did some testing with a (hopefully) similar setup. I used a pair of KRK 8400s and a Antlion ModMic w/ an Astro Mixamp. I have two possible solutions:

1) Have you tried lowering your mic input volume through the PS4? I noticed plugging my modmic through the mixamp caused a) a slight degrade in mic quality and b) a noticeable increase in volume. I had to greatly lower my mic volume for it to trigger voice commands.

2) The PS4 handles the mixamp...poorly. It recognizes the mixamp as a gaming headset, but does not always configure it properly. You can go into the audio device settings and select Astro mix-amp as the input device. However, Sony hasn't implemented proper support of separate input/output devices. Thus, the PS4 will force all audio through USB and not over optical. You'll lose the mix-amp virtual surround sound. There is a work around, however. You can put plug a Y-Splitter into the controller jack, and then unplug it. You'll receive audio through optical, and mic input will be transmit through USB. (Forgive me, but the name of the user who came up with solution escapes me.)

I know these solutions may seem obvious, so if neither of them work, I'll try to figure something else out.

any other ideas Zephyranthes?
thanks so much for your help thus far! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back