Astro A40s & Asus Xonar DX Setup
Nov 30, 2014 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pegruder

New Head-Fier
So I just picked up a pair of A40s and mixamp on sale and am looking for some assistance getting them setup.  So far out of the box music/games sound much better over my Razer Tiamat headset I previously used.  However just a few questions on setting up the virtual surround sound.  I thought I had everything configured properly however it seems when I run through the test, every channel seems to be heard on both left and right.  So for instance, when it plays the front left sound, I also a few clicks above faintly hear that on the right side as well.  Doesn't seem very directional to me.  Now I know the "virtual surround" is more of a gimmick, but the tiamats did a decent job of being directional.  I've also used the Razer surround software and that was very impressive.  I would assume hardware based virtual would be much better so I'm guessing I'm configured wrong.  So far I'm connected as follows.

USB from back of PC to mixamp.
Optical out from DX to mixamp.
Windows control panel set to choose SPDIF pass through as the default device.  (I chose this because the 3 other SPDIF outputs played no sound).  
In the Xonar DX Audio Center I am set for SPDIF with dolby digital live enabled.  Audio channels are at 8.

Any advice?  Or is this normal "virtual" surround behavior?

Thanks all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back