ART DI/O question
May 29, 2002 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zoomin

Head-Fier
I have decided to do some serious AB-ing of the ART DI/O vs. my CDP - Marantz CD63SE. I have power supply upgrade fro the ART but other than that it is stock.

My two paths are:

CDP (analog RCAs) -> Kimber PBJ -> NAD C370(AUX input) -> Headphone jack -> HD580s

CDP (Digital Coax)-> RadioShack 75 ohm -> ART DI/O -> Bolder Cable type I -> NAD C370(CD input) -> Headphone jack -> HD580s

This way, I can easily change the input selector from CD to AUX and vice versa to get identical volume.

Trouble is, I SWEAR they sound EXACTLY the same! I don't necessarily know which one will sound better, but I really don't hear any difference between the two at all...though the Senns or through my speakers (NHT SuperOnes).

Am I missing something here...?

May 29, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 7
You need a better headphone amp. While the NAD does have an internal headphone amp, it does not compare to seperate headphone amps. What's your budget?

As for your speaker setup, the C370 is pretty good, but the SuperOnes may not be sufficient. I'd go with something like the B&W DM602 (or higher).

May 29, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 7
zoomin,

Is your ART DI/O stock? If not, who modified it? Are you listening in 88.2 mode?

May 29, 2002 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 7
zoomin

Hmm it really surprises me that you don't hear a difference. Some people don't LIKE the sound of the ART DI/O and that's one thing, but it's certainly not similar to the Marantz in my experience.

You might try a different digital cable -- maybe if you have another good video cable around the house (video is standard 75ohm too). I understand that you might not want to buy an expensive cable but maybe trying a different one might yield a different result.

It's possible the Marantz' digital output isn't that great, but even if that were the case I'd expect a different sound.

If you can, try unplugging the analog cables completely in case your receiver is somehow mixing the signals. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to tell you.

May 29, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 7
I have noticed that is very hard to find differences between different DACs using modern chips, where "modern" means last couple of years. Maybe my hearing is going south but I have trouble even when comparing D-EJ725 Sony portable to a good DAC. At any rate, by far the biggest differences are due to reproduction unit (speaker or headphone) and then due to amplifiers. DAC/source differences are next on the list but are not as pronounced. Interconnect cables are subtle, digital cables are not noticeable. For me at least.

You do need a good headphone/speaker + amp before you'll notice a minor impact of a DAC. I had a similar problem when my friends were trying to evaluate DACs for me, they couldn't notice differences until pointed out what to listen for. I'd suggest to get a very high quality recording, preferably classical, and listen to things like soundstage and transparency. I.e. whether you can pinpoint where the instrument is and whether it moves left and right during play. Not-so-good source will have the instrument location move a bit as the volume of frequency changes, good one will not. Also, listen to string instruments, for small details like player's hand making noise while sliding, how natural the tone is etc. And whether you can feel the ambience of the venue, like reverb and so on.

May 29, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 7
aos

My experience as been the polar opposite. I've been dissatisfied with the whole compact disc experience since it was first introduced so my attention has always gravitated toward its flaws. Only recently have I heard a source that I thought surpassed vinyl, so for me the differences between source components are always appreciated. Less artifacts and greater sense of depth from smoother gradients have been things I've always searched for. I can see how these may not be important to everyone, especially if your point of reference is older CD sources. If your point of reference is analog or live performance, though, I dunno... it doesn't take the world's greatest amp and driver to discern the differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back