Are you Nihilistic?
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Nocturnal310

Headphoneus Supremus
Life is pointless.....there's no meaning to life......the only purpose is to enjoy and experience what is there to experience.

in trying to pursue meaning...u ll find there is none....its only the journey that matters.

people get up in the morning...go to their miserable jobs...come back...do it all their life...whats the point...what are they achieving..where are they goin?

u think u r contributing to this higher goal...but no....everything u do ..in the end is pointless.

day by day..i am becoming more of a nihilist.......wanna know if there are more who think like me.

it also reminds me of the famous speech by Tyler Durden ..the alpha male in Fight Club:
Quote:

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 58
b972_nihilist_mints.jpg

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 58
Possibly. I've realized life is nothing but a journey without an end, and all you can do is live while you can. Otherwise, what the hell's the point of going on.

Quote:

Bartender: I see folk about in a sunken dream, cause they feel nothing. Are they alive?

Sam: I wake up every morning and I tell myself, I am alive.

Bartender: When you can feel, you are alive. When you don't feel, you're not.

- Life on Mars

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 58
especially our generation...

we are in the time of history where we can relax a bit......but instead ...everyone is running faster n faster these days...more n more hardworking...more burn outs...more dark circles.

we are becoming a sleep deprived generation in the rat race.

i see less n less people enjoying life these days...if u aint enjoying life..then whats the point.

Quote:

You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 58
Quote:

We believe in nothing, Lebowski! Nothing. And tomorrow we come back and we cut off your johnson.

Frequenting a website that supports the arts seems a bit backwards, for a nihilist.

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 58
This thread should get the metallers out in droves....

What's the point? Life is the point. Society moving faster, people bewitched by ads, cars, cryo cables, identikit celebrities, JH-13Pro or whatever is beside the point. You don't have to partake of that maya...it's an act of mind: that old Buddhist saw seems apt - two monks endlessly arguing whether the wind moved a flag or the flag moved itself. Teacher came along, said: 'Neither, it is your mind moving'.

(Or something like that. I got more of these, y'know
wink.gif
)

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 58
I grew up with an environment that believed in the American dream; which is to get rich and live a happy life. I figured out people that were rich were actually more miserable than happy. All of the additional money complicated their lives, but we have grown up in a culture of consumerism. Earning money to buy stuff is the name of the game and each time we get a new ‘toy’ we get excited. After some time the excitement wears off and it’s on to the new ‘toy’ if it can be afforded otherwise, the time will be spent obsessing about it. There isn’t one material item that can give us lasting happiness.
One day during the holidays, I saw the queen of England make a statement saying that all of the people that she has met in the world, the people who were the happiest, were the people who were unselfish. Unselfish service to others was what made them happy. It’s a contradiction to the American dream. Living a life just pursuing material accumulation is in itself meaningless but people find meaning and value within spiritual insight. It is usually based on a universal source and center and the human relationship to it.
In a nutshell, there is meaning, but people need to have a sincere desire to look for it. They will have to look within their own selves.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 58
I used to be a nihilist when I was reading alot of philosophy (Nietzsche, Heidegger, Foucault, Existentialists, and Frankfurt School Folks). After many nights in drunken (or drug-induced) stupor, I just got tired of feeling nothing of negativity. It isn't healthy, and the truth is you're not that smart for being able to deconstruct everything, understanding the power of manipulation between culture and society, all while condescending the populations that exercise in the rat race.

Find peace in small victories, regardless if that is helping people in need, supporting a cause that you think is worthwhile (even the Fight Club is a "cause" as Anarchist as it may be), find a boy/girlfriend, go out and enjoy yourself in the company of other people.

Remember, Sartre said, "Man's future is man". True there are greedy bastards (like in the global financial markets) that have caused millions of people suffering. There are also people that continue to make humanity worth living, who smile and exercise good will.

Aug 6, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 58
beerchug.gif
Great
sig, limpid. Made my day.

BTW, is that the red or white laces on the trainers? There's a difference y'know...And the whale must be facing South. Too boomy facing West.
's true, I heard it, I tell ya
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back