Are there any audiophile cartridges that come pre-mounted or has it's headshell?
Mar 14, 2007 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AFK

Head-Fier
I see that Ortofon cartridges don't require any mounting, but I'm guessing they are more for DJ use than for audiophile use. Why don't they make an Ortofon like cartridge but for audiophile use? Why the need for mounting?

Mar 16, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by AFK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't they make an Ortofon like cartridge but for audiophile use? Why the need for mounting?

Well, KAB offers an audiophile version of the Stanton Groovemaster II. And, of course, there were the Concorde 20 & 30, which would also take Ortofon's needle 40. I'm not sure whether recent Concorde versions like the Broadcast would also accept the needles 20, 30 & 40 - maybe they do, as they should all be compatible with needle 78...

In general, keeping headshells and cartridges seperate has the advantage that you can choose from differently heavy headshells for your cartridge of choice and thereby optimize the effective mass and thus the resonance frequency of your arm/headshell/cartridge combination.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back