Are SE530 the ones for me?
Dec 24, 2008 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PG21

100+ Head-Fier
Well I've decided to up my budget and change to an IEM for college/commute. Pretty much want nice vocals (rather more upfront), not sibilant, and has nice bass for my hip-hop collection.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 14
upfront vocals?? Definitely the Shures. Those same word came to me today while smoking a cigar listening to Alice In Chains, John Legend and Natalie Merchant. The bass is very good too. Not overdone IMO, they are a very easy listening set of earphones.

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 14
you won't regret buying the se530s my man
atsmile.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatguyoverthere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wait, do the SE 530s have better vocals than the Westone 3s?

Define "better."

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Define "better."

I don't the exact terminology to describe what I mean.

basically, clearer, less grainy, and easier to make out. Is that descriptive enough?

Dec 25, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

basically, clearer, less grainy, and easier to make out. Is that descriptive enough?

Yes, by far. I just can't go backwards in terms of mids, and the SE530 trumps the Westone's in that category. If anyone would like a 2 day old pair of W3's PM me.

Dec 25, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

well i have not heard the W3 myself but the general consensus is that the midrange is maybe the weakest range on the W3.

and the midrange is clearly one of the stronger points of the se530, its easy to make out and clear because its very forward...IMO this is how music should be heard because the human voice is the most complex instrument in the musical world and its what defines the music.

earphones that struggle to bring the voice forward, such as the triple fi 10 for example, are not highly regarded in my books because i value the human voice more than say a cymbal crash for example, and phones with a weak midrange are simply not for me.

im not saying the westone 3 has a weak midrange because i wouldnt know, but its said to be a weaker part of the westone's abilities. so in this department i would automatically vote the shures.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 14
I've used the 530 for about half a year now. If there's something that could be improved, definately invest in a better source and amp. Otherwise i really enjoy it. Might give full size can a try as well.

Bass wise, this thing delivers.

Price wise, this should be about $100 cheaper than the westone 3. I got mine from a reputable ebay guy!! Also the Push to Hear module is pretty handy.

Dec 25, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 14
Agreed, a good source is important with the SE530s. They sounded absolutely terrible with my iPod Video (stock w/no Rockbox), but I suppose that's not saying much, huh? They're a whole different can with my D2 and laptop+DAC/AMP, though. I'm actually enjoying my SE530s right now as I type this!
smily_headphones1.gif
With great vocals and bass that should please most non-bassheads, I think you should just pull the trigger and give 'em a try.

Dec 25, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 14
yep for a wicked midhrange/vocals I would still go SE530. but W3 is king in every other department IMO. and with proper amping and good source the W3 mids are still awesome. plus if I have a hankering for mids I just nudge the mids up in rockbox EQ. the W3 respond very nicely to EQing or..... I just whip out the SE530
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back