Are headphones with a self-adjusting headband the most ideal in terms of vertical storage?
Jul 30, 2023 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rackhour

500+ Head-Fier
When I visited my favorite store, I had a brief chat with the storekeeper while waiting for him to process a purchase. I asked him about storing headphones given that most demo display models are kept vertically with a long hook, and he said that the best - or least compromising - way to store headphones is to just keep them laid on a surface since hooks would inevitably modify headband padding, and omega-shaped stands will shorten earpad lifespans.

That made me think: there are certain models that have two bands: a metallic or plastic one to keep the cups together, and a self-adjusting leather, pleather or cloth-like band that makes contact with the head. Would hanging them by the hard band be less compromising?

Jul 30, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 6
Yes, that's probably "better" objectively vs. hanging then the more traditional way, but is it worth the annoyance?

If they are one of several pairs you're somewhat regularly switching between, getting the hooks or whatever you're using between the adjustable pad and the structural band could also be frustrating, as most don't have a very large gap.

If something is going in to long term storage, probably best to lay it flat (no change in headband shape over time due to the weight of the headphone itself) in a box or storage case (avoiding dust and other contaminants).

I imagine it's the sort of thing you'd get used to with time, though. Just a question of if it's worth it to you, as with most things.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Yes, that's probably "better" objectively vs. hanging then the more traditional way, but is it worth the annoyance?

If they are one of several pairs you're somewhat regularly switching between, getting the hooks or whatever you're using between the adjustable pad and the structural band could also be frustrating, as most don't have a very large gap.

If something is going in to long term storage, probably best to lay it flat (no change in headband shape over time due to the weight of the headphone itself) in a box or storage case (avoiding dust and other contaminants).

I imagine it's the sort of thing you'd get used to with time, though. Just a question of if it's worth it to you, as with most things.
Thanks for chiming in. It’s nice to know that my thought process wasn’t completely illogical.

I did not realize until after buying the Elegia that replacement pads can be really pricey. For the Elegia, I’ve seen $15 pleather pads on Ali, Dekoni velour for $60 and Focal pads for $100. Knowing this, I would much prefer crushing pads with my head rather than a stand.

At least in my case, my stock pads will likely have a longer lifespan than average. Poor AC circulation at home this summer is heating my ears too quickly for my liking.

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for chiming in. It’s nice to know that my thought process wasn’t completely illogical.

I did not realize until after buying the Elegia that replacement pads can be really pricey. For the Elegia, I’ve seen $15 pleather pads on Ali, Dekoni velour for $60 and Focal pads for $100. Knowing this, I would much prefer crushing pads with my head rather than a stand.

At least in my case, my stock pads will likely have a longer lifespan than average. Poor AC circulation at home this summer is heating my ears too quickly for my liking.
Interesting you've got a Jupiter One also - there aren't many out there, I don't think!

Mine were kind of beat up when I got them and a lot of the hardware is loose now - the spring steel band on top is prone to popping out of the 3D printed parts, so I wouldn't want to hang them as you describe! It would work with the AKG Q701, though. That said, since I got the Hylands the Q701 gets almost no use, so...

Jul 30, 2023 at 12:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Interesting you've got a Jupiter One also - there aren't many out there, I don't think!

Mine were kind of beat up when I got them and a lot of the hardware is loose now - the spring steel band on top is prone to popping out of the 3D printed parts, so I wouldn't want to hang them as you describe! It would work with the AKG Q701, though. That said, since I got the Hylands the Q701 gets almost no use, so...
Yeah, it’s from a one-man shop, and he’s suspended all manufacturing, though he still accepts repair requests and is quite receptive to emails. I suggest you reach out for inquiries.

The Jupiter One is my main at home, and I actually do hang it by the steel band on a coat hook. In my case though, that band had popped out very sporadically during the 2 or so years I’ve owned it. It happens so rarely that I still don’t remember which side gets popped out. And I began hanging it only since late last year. Prior to that, they always laid on the desk.

Jul 30, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah, it’s from a one-man shop, and he’s suspended all manufacturing, though he still accepts repair requests and is quite receptive to emails. I suggest you reach out for inquiries.

The Jupiter One is my main at home, and I actually do hang it by the steel band on a coat hook. In my case though, that band had popped out very sporadically during the 2 or so years I’ve owned it. It happens so rarely that I still don’t remember which side gets popped out. And I began hanging it only since late last year. Prior to that, they always laid on the desk.
That's a shame, they're really special. Hope he picks things back up eventually, I'd love to try some of his newer offerings eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back