Appropriate question/answer in the "for sale" forums
Jul 20, 2010 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mike1127

Member of the Trade: Brilliant Zen Audio
I recently saw an item for sale, and posted some basic questions as a reply to the thread. I felt they were basic questions that any prospective buyer would be interested in. In this case, the questions were (1) how does this headphone compare to the XXXX series, and (2) what is the impedance.

Another person posted a hostile reply indicating that "this is not a discussion forum." Okay, I understand that people have been having discussions unrelated to the product, or posting things that the seller would not appreciate---but basic questions about the product, the sort of information that a buyer might include anyway, seem to fit pretty well.

I would like to know what the general feeling about this is.

Thanks,
Mike

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 9
The rules for the sale/trade forums is stated clearly here. IMO both questions should be directed elsewhere as the information can be found with a little detective work.

Jul 20, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Pardon me if I disagree those rules are stated "clearly." All it says is discussions "should be related to the transaction." It gives a few examples which are clearly not related to the transaction, none of which fit my example. It does not state if questions about the nature of the product, including objective technical specifications, are considered "related to the transaction."

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Generally if you are not stating your status (pmed, I'll buy it, free bump for nice looking X) you should pm the OP. This helps keep the thread clean so other buyers can see the status of the item without wading through pages of comparative posting.

As Jude said in the thread linked above (last post)

"We're trying to discourage conversations within sale threads, as negative comments end up being made (often sort of inadvertently, just caught up in the conversation) that might possibly hurt the sale.

Again, comments specific to the transaction, like "YGM" or "YGPM" (you've got a private message) or "Is it still for sale?" are okay. Also, if someone is trying to reach the seller, but has been unable to through PM and e-mail, the thread is a good place to let the seller know that one has had difficulty contacting him."

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Well, okay, you are stating things with words like "generally..." and "trying to discourage..." which indicates there is gray area. But it seems to me there is none: the only two permissible replies are "is it still for sale?" and contact-related notes.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 9
I apologize if you considered my post rude/hostile but in my opinion I was simply stating the rules.  I've seen too many legit For Sale threads get derailed by discussion about the item and how it compares to x item. That's not what the add is for. The add is to show what is for sale, PM's are for discussing it.

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 9
Questions of how items compare with other items is best left to the main forums. That's why they are there. The for sale forums are basically just a trading post for business. Clarification on specs, like you did with the impedance question is fine.

Here's a long example of the many different things you might ask in a Head-fi transaction:

Seller says X Headphone for sale, includes X cable upgrade and manual, $400.

I've never heard of this seller so I look to see if he has a feedback thread. He does and it is satisfactory.

I think to myself, X headphone comes in 3 different impedances, so I ask in the thread what impedance it is and since it will benefit others besides me it is pertinent to have publicly listed.

Then I see the seller has Y headphones in his signature and I've been considering those also. It's not necessary for the public to have a long drawn out discourse on the virtues of the 2 headphones in question so I send the seller a PM.

Later I notice this headphone is supposed to come with a nice wooden case, but it isn't mentioned so I ask in the thread if the case comes with it because others would want to know also.

I'm still interested in these headphones and he's bumped the thread a few times while I've been deciding. I think $350 is a fair price for the item, but that only applies to me so I send the seller a PM offering him that price.

Seller won't budge on his price so I keep thinking about it and would like to see pictures so I can verify the condition to see if they are really worth $400 so I ask in the thread for pictures because others would want to see these also.

Seller posts the pictures and I notice a big ding on the side, which the seller has pointed out. I decide $400 is too much for a lightly damaged X headphone, but since it's my opinion I send the seller a pm reiterating my $350 offer stating the condition of the headphones.

Seller stands his ground on price so I decide to look elsewhere, perhaps Y headphones from someone else, and since it's my opinion they aren't worth $400 I keep it to myself and don't thread crap his thread saying how they aren't worth $400. The thread continues with others having a hassle free read in the thread knowing who might have been interested, but also that the seller has posted they are still available.

OR

Seller says he'll agree to $350. I post in the thread 'I'll buy them. PM sent for payment details" or something to that effect. Seller posts sold to me. End of thread.

The for sale forums aren't for chatting it up. It's meant to be a quick, efficient, system to sell and buy.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 9
Those questions should have been sent to the seller by PM!
The rules posted by Jude is very clear.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 9
Posting questions in an FS thread can be appropriate when the seller has not shared certain details that would be of interest to all potential buyers of the item being listed, for example: color, condition, whether the original box is included, etc.

A seller also has no obligation whatsoever to share his (or her) opinion of the item being sold (whether on its own or in comparison to similar items) and may not necessarily know everything about it either. The impedance question would be relevant if the item was a Beyerdynamic headphone, as some of them come in completely different models depending on the impedance rating; otherwise an impedance question is irrelevant to the ad.

Personally, if I was asked any questions like the above in response to an item I was selling, I would ignore such PMs and never respond. I'm sure plenty of other people would be more generous though and respond, but I used to do that too and those days are behind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back