Apple AirPods Pro And NEW AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (from 23 Sep 2022) - Impressions
Oct 31, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #16 of 979
I think touch controls is very good! I change song easy never a problem, and is the same with play and pause. When you changing anc for on, off or ambient you hearing clear 3 different sounds. This is good. The click sound for pause/play, next/previous track is subtle click and isn't giving you loud sound. This is very good thinking for design this way in my opinion.

It's very bad compared to the M3 - the M3 has completely voiced guidance so you know exactly what you did very clearly. Also the touch pad area on the M3 is very big, you won't miss it and it only requires one finger to touch, not having to squeeze.

I know Apple generally does good UI and UX, but the Airpods Pro falls way short here. My guess is it's a compromise due to the shape of the earbuds and having to accommodate the external mic for the ANC so they are forced to move the control to the stem. It's an understandable compromise but doesn't mean it isn't poorly executed.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #17 of 979
Ok, we aren't agree. I have many anc headphones in past and now I having momentum true wirelsss and momentum 3 wireless and I always disabling the voice because is big distraction for me. The airpods pro giving me perfect indication of what I doing. Poorly executed is strange opinion but if how you thinking is ok. I'm very surprise because I see many videos in youtube of opinions and nobody saying they are problems with the controls. I trying before m&d mw07 and I preferring the airpods pro controls than the buttons in mw07 except the buttons for the volume.

Oct 31, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 979
I'm completely not agree that the sound with the anc on and off change.

It's probably variable per user, the adaptive control is only on in ANC mode - it apparently measures frequency response against your ear's anatomy some 200 times per second and adjusts.

For me there is a clear increase in bass and a bit of a mid suckout, but on balance it sounds better as the bass is slightly anemic without it. It's minor compared to what I experienced in the XM3 which was a huge change.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #19 of 979
It's probably variable per user, the adaptive control is only on in ANC mode - it apparently measures frequency response against your ear's anatomy some 200 times per second and adjusts.

For me there is a clear increase in bass and a bit of a mid suckout, but on balance it sounds better as the bass is slightly anemic without it. It's minor compared to what I experienced in the XM3 which was a huge change.

This interesting, the 'anaemic' bass you saying because I having that with medium tips that using in my life many years. And I changing for large tips and the bass is never little ('anaemic') and the treble is never problem very high.

Nov 1, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #21 of 979
What about sound quality?
Definition, sound stage, etc.. how do they compare to the rest?
I look forward to the Bose earbuds 500.

I copy what I saying in my first post for the sound:

"The sound quality of the app I think is engaging very much, many more than old airpods, but is very correct, isn't Diffuse field curve sound but is more like the Harman target curve sound (Harman curve is I think using in the very very good b&w p7 wireless of 3 years ago and the new sennheiser m3 wireless headphones that I liking very much the sound)."

The word definition isn't easy explaining but I saying more about the sound: The first is I repeating that is very important the people trying different tips because you thinking (my case) medium like always is good and the iPhone test for the seal test is saying is ok. After I trying large too and iPhone seal test saying is good too but the sound is many better.

The bass is going very low in the sub bass part of frequency easy. This isn't nothing comparing to original airpods. Here the bass is deep. Is little elevation in mid bass but is good. The mids is very good very correct. In the treble I hearing peak with medium tips but no peak with large tips. The treble for me with L tips is very good, is never offending my ears, is even maybe little polite, but is very good for me. Maybe little, only little more sparkle is nice for me.

The soundstage isn't big, is more similar like the closed headphone. I have sennheiser momentum true wireless (mtw) and I think the mtw is sound excellent, I'm big surprise when I buying the mtw for the sound quality. The airpods pro is close in the sound with mtw, is really excellent and is more comfortable and quickly putting in and out of the ears and in the case.

Is very important I mentioning again that the sound in anc on, off or in the ambient mode the sound quality isn't changing or maybe only little, very little. The 400 euros px7 and 500 euros mw65 anc headphones changing much when the anc is on or off. Apple is doing fantastic job in this aspect.

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #22 of 979
I copy what I saying in my first post for the sound:

"The sound quality of the app I think is engaging very much, many more than old airpods, but is very correct, isn't Diffuse field curve sound but is more like the Harman target curve sound (Harman curve is I think using in the very very good b&w p7 wireless of 3 years ago and the new sennheiser m3 wireless headphones that I liking very much the sound)."

The word definition isn't easy explaining but I saying more about the sound: The first is I repeating that is very important the people trying different tips because you thinking (my case) medium like always is good and the iPhone test for the seal test is saying is ok. After I trying large too and iPhone seal test saying is good too but the sound is many better.

The bass is going very low in the sub bass part of frequency easy. This isn't nothing comparing to original airpods. Here the bass is deep. Is little elevation in mid bass but is good. The mids is very good very correct. In the treble I hearing peak with medium tips but no peak with large tips. The treble for me with L tips is very good, is never offending my ears, is even maybe little polite, but is very good for me. Maybe little, only little more sparkle is nice for me.

The soundstage isn't big, is more similar like the closed headphone. I have sennheiser momentum true wireless (mtw) and I think the mtw is sound excellent, I'm big surprise when I buying the mtw for the sound quality. The airpods pro is close in the sound with mtw, is really excellent and is more comfortable and quickly putting in and out of the ears and in the case.

Is very important I mentioning again that the sound in anc on, off or in the ambient mode the sound quality isn't changing or maybe only little, very little. The 400 euros px7 and 500 euros mw65 anc headphones changing much when the anc is on or off. Apple is doing fantastic job in this aspect.
So, a good all round and not specifically brilliant at any certain aspect?

Nov 1, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #23 of 979
So, a good all round and not specifically brilliant at any certain aspect?

I think 'good all round' isn't completely true because maybe audiophile think is Apple product that is good for much people but not good for the people with good ears. Yes, is good all round because the majority of the people probably enjoying this sound very much. But, for me the APP is better sound than 400 euros px7, 500 euros mw65, 400 euros dali io-6, 500 euros h9 3g, 300 euros new beats solo pro and 400 euros nc700 (the nc700 is better sound than px7, dali, mw65 and h9 3g and solo pro in my opinion) and all this are headphones. I only preferring the sound of the p7 wireless headphone (no anc), momentum 3 wireless headphone (anc) and momentum true wireless earphones (only little more than the APP but isn't having anc).

I forgetting the APP is better sound than 300 euros mw07 earphones too.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #25 of 979
Got mine at Apple NYC and used it for 2 days. Longest stretch was 3 hours. No fatiguing, no vacuum feel throughout. Used both iPhone X on IOS 13.2 and OnePlus 7 Plus running Android 10.

The initial use had me concerned that the ANC was not working, so I switched to my full size Sony WH-1000XM3 and realized that the Airpods Pro ANC was doing its job. Just that that vacuum feel Sony and Bose give me (personally, may not be yours) was missing. For this alone, the Airpods Pro is a major plus for me on planes and trains. I already tried the NYC 2 and 3 subway lines and the Airpods Pro while playing songs did as well as the full size Sony & Bose with ANC. The brutal NYC subway soundtrack is mostly blocked. Again, the style of ANC is different between the Apple, Bose and Sony. Almost no pressure inside my ears with the Apple Airpods Pro, even better than the Bose QC35 II. Have not tried the Bose 700.

The tips on the Airpods Pro make a big difference. I am using large and they with the ANC nearly silenced all voices at a Starbucks with music on 50% iPhone X. This is even better than the Sony WH-1000XM3 as I could hear people talking at similar settings. I do wish and hope foam tips are available soon from third parties.

Music wise, the Sony without ANC is best, especially with jazz, like Jazz at the Pawnshop. There is much air and space in the music reproduction. With ANC, the Sony is not as good as the Airpods Pro. This is really really surprising for me as this is Apple's first attempt at this, and we all know how the Homepod turned out.

Hope this helps.

48996038138_7057392cc8_o.jpg

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 979
I just picked up a pair. So far they are more balanced and mid centric than the Sony's. Bass is fine as long as there is a seal. Not elevated really but not low either. There is air but not anywhere near as pronounced as the Sony's. For people on here, I think its a good thing they have their own signature sound. They go well to complement the Sony's as different "mood" wireless IEM if you feel like listening to the more neutral Apple or the V shape super fun Sony's. It seems the ANC is better on the apple for mids but I can hear my typing pretty clear even with it on. Don't expect full can ANC quality.

Nov 1, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #28 of 979
What do folks think about these for a noisy LA Fitness gym?

I ran last night with them from Times Square to Columbia University on the Upper West Side. Did not hear much of anything except for NYC ambulances and some Ubers that objected to me cutting them off. So yes, they should be fine in your gym.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #29 of 979
I tried putting the foam from Symbio Mandarines in the AirPods Pro eartips and immediately I could tell the sound was negatively impacted. When I ran the Fit Test, it told me I had a bad fit in both ears (despite the fit actually being good).

I'm guessing that the foam interferes with the automatic EQ'ing.

Nov 2, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #30 of 979
Probably the people don't know but in iPhone (I don't know if is possible in android) you having possibility of change settings in 3 places:
1) the control center
2) the bluetooth settings of the AirPods pro.
3) in Accessibility > AirPods. Here you can changing the speed of the click in the tubes (for the volume and the changing songs) and the speed of the click and holding (for the noise cancellation and ambient mode and off position.

For me the click is good in the default but the click and holding I changing to more fast setting (is 3 settings: default, fast and more fast). This possibility for changing click and holding I like very much for quickly changing from off to ambient mode or from anc to ambient mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back