Apex Pinnacle vs Leben CS300XS: The Awful Truth
Apr 19, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #107 of 114

Quote:
Thanks.  The gain architecture seems to work fine with the stepped attenuator.  I'm usually four or five clicks up and the steps are subtle enough - I don't find myself wanting an in-between setting anywhere.

Even though it is stepped, you can set the amp in between and once in a while, I am glad you can.

Apr 20, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #108 of 114
Can you really set the attenuator in-between steps? I have the DACT 24-stepped control on my B52 and I cannot go in between. (My T1s need to be on the 2nd audible step most of the time.)

I was thinking either the Pinnacle's Hi/Low impedence output choice would allow for more gradations, or that the particular gain tube chosen (the 6NS7) might also change things.

Apr 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #109 of 114

Quote:
Can you really set the attenuator in-between steps? I have the DACT 24-stepped control on my B52 and I cannot go in between. (My T1s need to be on the 2nd audible step most of the time.)

I was thinking either the Pinnacle's Hi/Low impedence output choice would allow for more gradations, or that the particular gain tube chosen (the 6NS7) might also change things.

You cannot. I think shabta must be talking about the Leben. If you're only on the second step then the gain of your amp is too high. I find that stepped attenuators work best when you're past the 5th step otherwise, it's hard to find the correct volume.

May 25, 2011 at 1:46 PM Post #111 of 114
The nicest thing about the Pinnacle is that it brings out the best in older questionably-mastered CDs without glare or shout. This is critically important with headphones, especially the higher end ones.
The Pinnacle with an EMM XDS1 (and a pair of old Shunyata Anaconda VX powercords) really allows for a no-fatigue sound but with still sweet extended highs, tight controlled satisfying bass, lots of resolution,
and that holy-grail quest for a relaxing sound coupled with a deep insight into the recording.
It's like my entire redbook CD collection has been converted to Hi-Rez. An RCA VT231 version of the 6NS7 gain tube helps.
Digital glare and shout drove me crazy, and I was picking up SACDs to hide from it, but the Pinnacle/XDS1 combo really works here on ordinary CDs.
The best headphones for this are my HD800s  with DHC balanced cables (no more piercing highs or upper mids!) with striking soundstaging/layering, very natural tonality and texture.
Just about as good are my Beyer T1s (balanced with Zeus Hex22 cable), having a smaller soundstage but sounding more intimate.
Also very fine (but not quite as resolved but still very silky with no hint of glare as noticed with other amps) are my Denon 7000s also balanced with Zeus Hex22 cable.

Jul 2, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #113 of 114
If I were to simplify my thought process it would be this:

If I could only have one amp in the entire world to use with dynamic headphones I wouldn't want it to be the 307a because it is perceptively brighter than a lot of headphones need. The Pinnacle would be my pick for best standalone amp. Once you spend 10grand on a single amp it's unlikely that you would have another amp or more than one other amp. The 307a amp has certain undefinable magic in the way it decays that the Pinnacle does not have, but this thing which I call magic is not a great pairing for a neutral or bright-ish headphone such as the HD800. With the 307a I completely forget that it's tubes, but with the Pinnacle I felt more music come through.

From the perspective as a music listener the Pinnacle was more well-suited to more genres and more headphones.

From the perspective of hearing an amp that was entirely neutral and felt simply as if to be a volume module between me and the Source, the 307a has not been beaten in my mind. In that sense I would say the 307a is more honest, but the Pinnacle is more musical.

If I was only allowed to have one amp in my collection I would probably prefer a number of amps over the 307a because it doesn't excel with a lot of recent trends in the headphone world as much as a lot of other amps do. I'd take the Pinnacle in a second over the 307a if I were considering only having one amp. But for certain things like classical.......the 307a takes the crown on the majority of headphones I've tried. For Rock and jazz I found the bass too controlled in a lot of cases with some headphones.

which one single amp would you suggest for a fostex Th900 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back