Anyone who replaced their large MP3 library with lossless/FLAC how did you go about it?
Mar 30, 2023 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Svperstar

1000+ Head-Fier
So I have been collecting MP3s since 1996. I ripped all of my CDs around the year 2000 in 160 kbps MP3. Then around 2007 when drives got big and cheap enough I reripped everything using Exact Audio Copy in .APE. I converted my .APE collection to .FLAC around 2018 cuz with mobile battery life is a big consideration and APE uses way more CPU then FLAC to decode.

I still had a ton of other random MP3s tho, I haven't bought a CD in years, all digital now.

Question is anyone who has converted your entire library to FLAC/lossless how did you go about doing it?

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Like you, I used EAC originally. I now use dbPOWER Amp to rip CD's. I still purchase an odd one now and then. Both do a direct conversion to FLAC. My complete library is in FLAC. I will also make copies and convert sets to MP3 for use with bluetooth speakers.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 5
If you don't have the original source/CD, I'll leave it as is. IME, it will not generally make your music better. If your asking for a software, been using Poikosoft's Ez CD Audio Converter for more than a decade now for my ripping/converting/tagging needs: https://www.poikosoft.com/

You could go to a subscription based streaming like Qobuz.

Or start purchasing again on online material (HDTracks, Qobuz).

As for me, I am slowly converting my SACD-ISOs to DSF. Some modern players (Roon, BubbleUPnP) won't support those (bummer).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 5
I used iTunes and then Apple Music. Ripped to ALAC, serve with Plex so they get transcoded on the fly if necessary. ALAC works great with all my Mac stuff and also works fine on my iBasso and Sony Walkman.

Apr 17, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #5 of 5
So I have been collecting MP3s since 1996. I ripped all of my CDs around the year 2000 in 160 kbps MP3. Then around 2007 when drives got big and cheap enough I reripped everything using Exact Audio Copy in .APE. I converted my .APE collection to .FLAC around 2018 cuz with mobile battery life is a big consideration and APE uses way more CPU then FLAC to decode.

I still had a ton of other random MP3s tho, I haven't bought a CD in years, all digital now.

Question is anyone who has converted your entire library to FLAC/lossless how did you go about doing it?
I'm currently ripping my entire CD library to FLAC using a Brennan B2. I then transfer via usb stick to desktop and use DB Poweramp to convert to ALAC for IPhone use.

https://brennan.co.uk/pages/b2-overview

Attachments

• Brennan B2.jpg
    Brennan B2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back