Anyone try adding impedance to their Yuin OK2's?
Jan 9, 2009 at 6:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DarkScythe

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Forgive my apparent noobishness, but I am wondering about this, and I don't believe this has been discussed before. Either that or I'm absolutely terrible at picking search keywords.

Anyway, I recently decided to upgrade from my Sennheiser MX500's to the Yuin OK2's since they were fairly well regarded and did not require an amp. It sounds fantastic so far, a definite improvement, even if it was somewhat expensive ($17 to $129 is quite a jump.) I have read though, about people adding imedpance adapters to their er4p's and turning them into the er4s's or something. I'm wondering if anyone has tried that with the OK2's to attempt to turn it into an OK1. Perhaps it doesn't work like that, but as I don't know, I'm curious about it. Anyone have any comments about this?

The impedance difference between the two seems to be an astounding 134ohms. My friend has an old Xin amp with a built-in PtoS switch I think, and IIRC that only provides 75ohms. Not quite there but maybe could be worth a shot. I haven't heard an OK1 before though, so I wouldn't know what to listen for anyway, although someone who has both might be able to give it a try.

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 5
Ermmm, I guess not!

lol, well I'll still give it a try with my friend's Xin amp whenever I get a chance then, see if it sounds any different, even if it wont approach OK1-level impedance.

Jan 10, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Glad to see another OK2's owner here, I also love mine, they sound really good.

For the topic, it sounds interesting but I have no impedance jack or something so I couldn't try.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 5
I read in another thread that they have different drivers, but they were also wondering the same thing there.

It might work, and since the adapter is only 20 bucks, what is there to lose?

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It might work, and since the adapter is only 20 bucks, what is there to lose?

The 20 bucks.
tongue_smile.gif

In all seriousness, I'm not sure if one needs exactly as much impedance as the OK1 to notice any difference. I haven't had a chance yet, but next time I head over to my friend's place, I'll try out his Xin amp's impedance switch. I believe it's only 75ohms but it should be enough to make a bit of difference, even if it doesn't bring it up to the level of an OK1.

If anyone else has actually tried it and can report their results though, I would definitely be grateful. I'm a huge novice to all this audiophile business, so I don't expect I'll notice much. As it is, I borrowed an Audiofire 2 from my friend and I'm struggling to hear much of a difference between that and my onboard Realtek.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back