Anyone on PlanetSide 2?
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Soul Shinobi

New Head-Fier
PlanetSide 2 (click for trailer) is a free to play game that's little old now having come out in 2012, but has a strong following as the only MMO-FPS, with maps being a real 8 km x 8 km and supporting up to 1,200 players. Yes there are elements you can pay for, no they do not give you a competitive advantage (thank god, it's pretty well balanced). I like it for the strategy of managing a squad and making an impact in such a massive battle; there are opportunities for some truly epic moments that you can't get in any other game. I've single-handedly C4'd enemy armor and won our team a base we would have otherwise lost, and taking or saving a base at the right time can win you the 'game' in the form 90 minute 'Alerts' where the team controlling the most territory wins. Here's a great detailed 4 minute review.

I play for the Vanu faction on the Emerald server (US North East) with a couple friends. Despite its age the graphics are good, and I have to say the sound design is excellent :dt880smile:. Detailed and varied voice lines and small detailed sound effects for everything, and the way they combine and escalate realistically in large fights without overlapping or clipping is part of what makes it feel so epic (save for some effects cutting out on the very rare occasions when 500 player descent on one single base :sweat_smile:, but the apocalyptical fire fights with all real players make it worth it). You can identify and locate vehicles at a distance based on engine sound, and the same can be said for faction specific weapons and in game voice lines when people perform certain actions, particularly spotting you when they call out your location to their friends.

It's both class based and combined arms so I haven't got bored yet after a couple years and I often switch things up. There are 6 classes to choose from at any given time: cloaking sniper, light assault with jet packs, medic, engineer that can repair vehicles, heavy assault, and Max suit which is kind of a super-heavy class that needs to be repaired by engineers instead of healed by medics. In addition, 'combined arms' means there's a slew of vehicles to choose from, both on the ground with tanks and support vehicles, and a range of airborne vehicles with similar roles. Plus there's player-made base construction, which is kind of niche, but I've been getting into it too.

If you're interested I'm happy to answer any questions because there is a lot to the game. Here's a more in depth starter guide, my name in game is soulshinobi, and my discord is Soul#8802. :comet:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back