Anyone listen to Strauss?
Oct 21, 2002 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
I am a classical music fan, been looking for "new" material out there recently. Stumbled across DieFledermaus Overture and really liked it. Anyone have any suggestions on other pieces?

Oct 21, 2002 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 3
If you like romantic era style music (it was actually written in the 1900's) , Howard Hanson is pretty good.

My university's orchestra performed his second symphony. It was very very good.

Oct 21, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 3
Johan Strauss and family have hundreds of works recorded, waltzs, marches, polkas, operettas & overtures. I recommend Boskovsky/London there is a two CD set and a six CD set both at mid price. Bokovsky also has some EMI recordings on 1 &2 CD for low price worth getting. There is no end to the creative work here even in obscure works no one has heard of.

There is the News Years Eve collection of Strauss done every year by famous different conductor in Vienna. Search out the Karajan version with Kathleen Battle performing an incadescant
performance of Voices in the Spring.........best of the series.

If you want overtures from operattas buy one of the many Suppe overture collections by Dutoit, Marriner and others. Suppe, Lehar, Offenbach and others have many great incidental music pieces to their operettas.

BTW Richard Strauss music is completely different, famous for the opening movement to Thus Spake Zarathrustra (2001 space odyssey, Ric Flair entrance theme on WWE)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back