Anyone know the pins from this RS pot?
Dec 2, 2002 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dokebi

500+ Head-Fier
I bought this from Radioshack (#271-215B) but I can't find the data sheet for it.
Would anyone know the pin configuration for it? I checked alps website but can't find except the 16mm. Thanks.
cool.gif

7002.JPG

Dec 3, 2002 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 5
dokebi,
You'll need a multimeter to figure out some of this. There appears to be a pot with a switch on the end. Might also be an unusual (very) dual pot.
In your first picture on the left, there are 3 solder tabs on the phenolic board nearest the shaft. The center one is the wiper. The left and right tabs are each end of the resistor. The wiper slides allong moving away from one tab towards the other and visa versa
As you turn the shaft clockwise while facing it, the wiper moves closer to the right hand tab in that picture lowering the resistance, while moving further from the left tab and increasing resistance. You can confirm this with a multimeter by connecting it to any two of the tabs and seeing what happens.
Usually, the input from a mini or RCA jack would go to the right tab, the output to the amp would connect to the center tab, and the left tab would go to ground.
Concerning the back, use your multimeter to see if it is indeed a second pot, or a switch. Hope this helps.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 5
I forgot to mention that this pot is good for only one channel. No good for stereo. You could use two of them, but most people prefer a dual pot.
And yes, Radio Shack mentions it has an spst switch on the back. Your B model just looks different than what is in the catalog.

Dec 3, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 5
I had used the exact same pot for one of my amps...let me tell ya, this pot is not useful for any audio purposes. Try to find another RS pot, it looks the same except there is a second row of pins flush with the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back