anybody use a portable DVD player for music source too?
Jun 20, 2002 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Robster1958

100+ Head-Fier
i am thinking of getting a portable dvd player. most of the new ones play cdr's recorded with mp3...in addition to regular CDs and prob. DVD audio<?>.

this one caught my eye:

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/portable...t/SDP2000.html

street price $799.

any idea how audio quality is with this..or this type of...device?

Jun 24, 2002 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 12
but at least it looks like somone cares! (not to mention...kicking me back up to the top of the list
smily_headphones1.gif

i ended up buying this unit.

if there is any interest on this forum, i will post my opinions.
(i guess a unit like this is somewhat off topic)

i will use Koss 35's and Senn mx500's...along with my home Senn545's.

for audio (MP3) comparison, i will use my Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 gig. (320 kbps, EAC, LAME)

Jun 25, 2002 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 12
Too expensive for portable music considering you can purchase a better sound pcdp and an amp if you choose. I wouldn't wear out the laser on that unit for the sole purpose of playing music. I would watch dvd's on it. Thats just me though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2002 at 8:47 AM Post #4 of 12
a big spender u are.

bringing such a delicate system out into the streets, too dangerous. I sometimes drop my cd player.

plus will there be any shock resistence?

Jun 28, 2002 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 12
Robster, I am picking up that exact model Toshiba in about 12 hours, I'll post a review here after I've played around with it a bit. Love to hear your thoughts also. From what I've researched, that's the best one out there right now.

Jun 28, 2002 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 12
great....
i just finally got mine out of the box; going on vacation with it for a week. gonna burn MP3 CDs b4 i leave.

just to clarify....my intent was to see whether a good secondary use of a video player would be audio. of course the only reason to spend these bucks is for great movie viewing. there's only so many gadgets you can pack with you....isn't there??
smily_headphones1.gif

hey jaggers...another cool feature:

piicture flip (inversion) for ceiling mounted viewing in a car .....or for upside down viewing!

Jul 1, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Wow. A pricey item. But if it fits your needs, why not (and you can afford it). Consider a Total Airhead, that will make those action flicks roar!

That's one toy I don't have. I would not use it much, as I am not much of a movie buff.

But I do have a Tivo at home, which everyone should own (www.tivo.com). Love that TIVO.

Jul 1, 2002 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 12
I would fall into that camp, Robster.

Currently using a Sony dvp-f5 & Panasonic dvd-pa65. Both are screen-less. I placed a relevant post on p. 3 of Eagle_Driver's lament, "GRRRRRRRR my Etymotic er-4s ......suck"...

I am pretty new to this "game"; if I knew how to import the appropriate part of my post into this thread, I would do that, (if there is a way)?

Waiting to get a meta42 b4 I make any "official" comparisons - pdvdp vs. pdvdp and pdvdp vs. pcdp.

Jul 1, 2002 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Have you seen Sony's new DVD Walkman?

Sony D-VM1

sub1.jpg

World’s First Truly Portable DVD Player
Compact Size
Plays DVD Video (DVD-R, DVD-RW), VCD, CD (CD-R/CD-RW)
Audio Formats Include Dolby Digital, Dolby Surround Sound, dts (Optical Digital Out Only)
Virtual Surround Sound For Headphones And Speakers
Audio/Video Output Adapter Supplied For Simple Connection To Home TV
LCD Monitor (3.5”) With One-Hand Control Buttons
Built-In Remote Commander® Remote Control
Up To 4 Hours Playback With LIP-30 Rechargeable Battery (Supplied)
AC Adaptor Supplied
Brightness Control
Stereo Headphones Supplied

main.jpg

Jul 1, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 12
Well you sure have to hand it to sony for bizarre-looking. The remote is exactly the same as that with the dvp-f5.

Frankly, I really don't see how it is all that/any more portable than the other pdvdp's out there, and if I did watch dvd's, (got mine strictly for the audio/music), I would sure rather watch on a bigger screen, such as the panasonic dvd-la95 with its 9" diag. screen. (per pana.)

Jul 1, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 12
the sony would be quite cool if it wasn't so heavy and thick. the screen is small but its on a cable so you can keep the player in a bag or something and just run the screen and headphones out which is really cool. unfortunately, the thing is like an inch and a half think or so and is really heavy so it kinda ruins the whole idea of being really protable. i would definitely go with one with a bigger screen, lower weight and thinner profile for now. maybe in a few years they will have it down to around the size of their pcdps and then it will be very sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back