Anybody here playing Pokemon GO?
Jul 13, 2016 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Argyris

Head-Fi's third most long-winded poster.
Short and sweet: if you're playing, tell the thread about your experience--your towering triumphs, your crushing defeats*, the total number of kilometers you've managed to walk, what sort of Pokemon are common in your area, how badly the game drains your battery, etc.

*Like the Pidgeot I threw 65 Pokeballs at in vain--granted, only about three of those actually activated, since flying Pokemon are awkward to catch.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 8
I am playing, but I have many difficulties finding time to. I work and when I don't work I want to go home and enjoy my recently improved setup :D. I also work (summer job) as I waiter so I usually do about 20 thousand steps just from work soo... 

Anyway, level 13, only managed to beat a gym once. My best pokemon right now is Hypno at 860 after several upgrades. My proudest catch is Electabuzz. I just think he is super cool in game. The most common pokemon in my area are high CP Drowzees, crapTON of Zubats and obviously pigeys and ratatas. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 8
As somebody who had been fairly invested in the Pokemon franchise and community in the past, and as somebody who loves to take long walks across town, this game should have been a match made in heaven. I installed it on a tablet on Sunday and found it somewhat underwhelming in its current state, but not irredeemable. If they added more to the battle mechanics, and introduced trading, I would probably be more into the actual game. I'm sure others have made similar complaints.

I did end up uninstalling it this morning. There were several factors that prompted this, the primary one being that I use a flip phone on a day-to-day basis. The only Android devices I own are tablets, and it feels strange lugging around a tablet to play something like this. The other thing being that I do not have a data plan, and do not plan on ever getting one. That severely limits the places where I would be able to play, although WiFi is fairly ubiquitious outside of parks and suburbian areas, so it would not be completely unplayable.

I would also want to wait out the initial wave of people jumping on the fad. Because I can see that for a lot of people, this will be no more than a fad. Hopefully, a smaller, tightknit community will settle around this game, and manage to keep things profitable enough for Niantic/Nintendo to continue developing for it.

With all of this in mind, I was commuting Monday and I could have sworn that everyone I saw with a cell phone under the age of 40 had this on their screens. For the most part, I'm just glad that people are enjoying this.

Jul 28, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 8
  The eagle has not yet landed here.  Sigh.

Don't you mean the Pidgeot? 
biggrin.gif

I've been playing for a little over two weeks now, and I finally managed to reach level 20 yesterday. There are some PokeStops in a historical park near my house, so I have ready access to items, which helps immensely. Since they're the only PokeStops in the general vicinity, everybody that plays Pokemon GO comes there. I've discovered that this mostly happens in the evening--the park fills up with at least a dozen people every day at this time, and there's often at least one lure module going at any given moment.

Apart from the odd outlier here or there (like the Growlithe and Pikachu I found a few days ago), it's mostly Pidgey, Weedle, Rattata, and Venonat I find around where I live. It's only through chance encounters and eggs that I've managed to fill in 70 Pokemon in my Pokedex. It would have been 71, but a few days ago I had a heartbreaking experience as a passenger in a car where the screen wouldn't react to my tapping fast enough for me to enter an encounter with a Lapras. In fact, water Pokemon in general are somewhat rare around my house, unless you count the Staryu that keeps spawning in the same spot near the township office, and the occasional Magikarp and Psyduck I'll find amongst the dozens of Pidgey.

So far, according to the app I've walked over 100 km, and I think that's rather conservative--the medal for distance walked doesn't seem to be counting everything I do since it doesn't seem to increment at the same rate as my egg hatching meters. Speaking of eggs, I've hatched 41 so far, including two 10 km ones. The latter two contained a medium-high CP Eevee (a bit disappointing since Eevee are relatively common around me, but nonetheless nice for an Eevee trainer like me) and an Onix of middling CP. The same evening as this last one I randomly found an 850+ CP Tauros just while walking home, so the Onix got overshadowed.

My favorite part of the game is the eggs. I've been trying out IEMs lately, and my method of field testing has been loading up the Pokemon GO app and listening to music while I walk and rack up distance to hatch my eggs (and catch Pidgey). It gives me time to think and to evaluate gear--I'd be walking and listening to music, anyway, so this just gives me something else to do and an incentive to keep going for longer.

Along with the PokeStops, the park also has a gym. I'm waiting until I can level up my set of Eeveelutions to at least 1,500 CP apiece before I challenge it. I have chosen my team, though. I went with Mystic (go blue!), partly because of the three its logo looked the coolest to me, but mostly because Mystic seems to be in control of the gyms around where I live most often, so I can get some friendly training done and maybe even station one of my tougher Pokemon in the local gym to help defend it.

That's all for now. I probably just made myself look like an uber nerd with this post. Actually, this whole thing has made me want to play real Pokemon, which is something I've never actually done. I'm thinking about getting a 3DS and a copy of X or Y, so I have something to do when I've got some free time and I'm not on my evening walk catching Pidgey and Rattata.

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 8
  Don't you mean the Pidgeot? 
biggrin.gif

That's all for now. I probably just made myself look like an uber nerd with this post. Actually, this whole thing has made me want to play real Pokemon, which is something I've never actually done. I'm thinking about getting a 3DS and a copy of X or Y, so I have something to do when I've got some free time and I'm not on my evening walk catching Pidgey and Rattata.

Braviary would have been more accurate, if they had included Gen V Pokemon (and it would be even more apt, considering that Unova is basically New York City).

Don't try to out-PokeNerd me, or you'll PokeRegret it, you PokeHear.

When you're ready to play some big-boy Pokemon, give me a call on my PokeGear. Leave a message after the Clefairy.

Aug 28, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Been far too invested in this, here is where I'm at...

My top Pokemon at the moment...

And the first part of my achievements...

Just tipped over 700km, not so bad :)

Aug 28, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 8
Been far too invested in this, here is where I'm at...

My top Pokemon at the moment...

And the first part of my achievements...

Just tipped over 700km, not so bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, and I thought I was getting really deep into it. I've made it to level 22, but I've slowed down recently. Two solid weeks of rain almost every day, along with the interest sort of cooling off around here, has likely contributed to that. The local park used to be filled with players every evening, but lately it's been pretty deserted. Not to mention the glitches and the periods where it seems like nothing will stay in a Poke Ball (or an Ultra Ball, for that matter).

If they add more features (like battling friends and trading), I think they could entice more people to start playing again. As it is, I've spent the rainy evenings and early mornings playing real Pokemon. I've nearly completed Y and have taken a good chunk out of Alpha Sapphire, and it highlights how the Pokemon GO experience could stand to be fleshed out a bit now that everybody's caught their 9,001st Pidgey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back