Any site with MP3/CD reviews on SOUND?!
Oct 8, 2001 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Apheared

You call that an amp? THIS is an amp!
If I hear about how cool another unit looks one more time, I might snap and kill someone. If the only thing you can say about a piece of gear is "it looks cool" then your opinion is about as useless as it is in an art gallery. (don't confuse only and best... sometimes "it looks cool" is the BEST thing you can actually say.)
smily_headphones1.gif

Look, I quite frankly don't fsck'in care if a unit has a backlit remote, or ID3 tags, what kind of batteries is uses, what the stupid color of the thing is, or other stupid crap... this information can be got RIGHT OFF THE BOX.

We really need someone to read for us, right? c'mon. I don't care if it take 2 or 20 seconds to start up, either. Although this is more the kinds of information I DO need, information that requires actually using the damn thing.

SOUND QUALITY

I have yet to see them compared for quality, anywhere. Either a subjective human ear review or even an MX3-style spectrum analysis accuracy review... but I'd LOVE to see some MP3/CD reviews on how they actually sound.

These reviews can't be done by people that are gearwhores. By kids that want to stuff hundreds of 96k MP3s on a disc in the first place? Uh, yea, ok.
smily_headphones1.gif
But, whatever I'll take that over what's out there now passing for a review... "it sounds incredible" - Incredible against what test control? Against a chipped cinderblock? Against a Meridian?

And when have you ever seen someone talk about how well it plays Redbook CDs? Never. It's as if, since you bought a MP3/CD, that's all it'll ever play.

So there's this gap. We're probably the only group of people that would care; this is the perfect thing for a Head-Fi review. But getting 30 units together at once is a bitch.

/rant

Oct 19, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 3
I have tested a lot of mp3 players and the best sounding MP3 player is the Rio Volt. Just right behind it I would put the Archos Recorder. Stay away from the Archos player, it does not have very good sound quality when using the headphone plug (the line out is fine). The best line-out sound I feel is the Neo Jukebox (the headphone jack is kind of flat).

The Archos Recorder has good sound when it is flat it has a lot of sound control so you can really adjust it compared to other players.

Be sure to check out http://hardware.dmusic.com - They have reviews on mp3 players and always talk about the sound.

-Richard Holdman
www.funmp3players.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back