Any one heard the Meridian mcd?
May 28, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kartik
I bow to superior knowledge. My impressions are based on relatively limited experience. However, I still believe that the quantum of improvement in CD players over the same time frame far outweighs the change in turntables. I defy someone to show me that a VPI or Goldmund from the 70s and 80s performs worse than an MMF entry level TT.

I have a very nice mid 70s Linn and a super nice Simon Yorke from the 80s and both will be highly embarrased by a Scout with a nice cartridge. The MMF-5 sounds much more silent and is ten times easier to set up than the Linn and does'nt require the top-notch rig the Simon Yorke does to sound best. There have been huge improvments in tables but the biggest leaps have certainly been in phono stages. When you get an opportunity you should listen to some of the mid-fi vinyl stuff. It really ain't bad and sounds much nicer, to my ears, than 95% of the stuff from the 70s and 80s.

May 28, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 20
Thanks for the info, Fred and I stand corrected on this issue. However the only vintage player I've heard is a VPI from the late 80s which sounded incredible. In fact better than most digital or analog set ups I've heard since. Still, I agree that you know far more than me in this regard and Thanks again for the heads up.

Jun 2, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 20
so i see you broke down and bought the spider monkey. great.

well, chef you just cant help yourself with a good deal huh.

as an owner of a meridian 206, i can tell you, it sounded awesome. much better than my new NAD cdp and any of my legendary pcdps.

as for this one i dont know. but if you are getting it for yourself thats great. if you are getting it to flip it, thats another story.

I think that it probably can be enjoyed in its own right. But chef, you can afford better, i know you can. I doubt you ar getting it to keep.

As far as any one else out there looking for a first "nice" cdp, this could be the ticket. Certainly give it a try if your budget is under 200 bucks, and definitely try it if you were considering spending 200 on a vintage pcdp.

Just my perspective for a former "vintage" meridian owner. "They dont make em like they used to"

Sean

Jun 2, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by spwal
...Just my perspective for a former "vintage" meridian owner. "They dont make em like they used to"

And in this case thats a good thing.

Jun 2, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 20
I have to agree with spwal, the Meridian 206 is a great player, better than Rega, NAD and Arcam players that I've heard. They're built really solidly, the transport is a delight to use. I've owned a 206 and a 207 (with built-in preamp and rather nice headphone output!) and I would happily recommend either. As far as the MCD goes, I'm not sure, these things don't fetch much money in the UK, which is sometimes a good indicator of how good a player it is. It certainly doesn't look anywhere near as solid as a 206.

What's this about new turntables sounding better than old? Ever heard a Garrard 301 or 401? Actually, I'm guilty, I have a Nottingham Analogue...
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back