Any new DAC announcements in CES 2008?
Jan 9, 2008 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

hershann

Head-Fier
Am thinking of getting a new DAC in the $500-$1k range - so am wondering if there are any news released during CES 2008 for this segment of the market.

Current watch list is the Stello DA100 - because it has got Toslink in (for both my Macbook and PS3) and I don't need a headphone amp section as I have a stand alone amp. Also has a class A discrete analog output section. I heard they may have a revised model announcement during the CES - but am unable to find any news on this.

The usual suspects that I am considering are - DAC1, Lavry DA10, CI etc but am waiting on the sidelines - hoping for new offerings.

her shann

Jan 9, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 11
Benchmark has a new product that is like a combination of the DAC1 USB and a pre-amp (i.e. it supports some analog inputs in addition to the usual digital inputs):

Benchmark DAC1 PRE

I thought Wavelength was going to have some announcements about new DACs (or updates to existing DACs) using their new asynchronous USB technology, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

Jan 10, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 11
DAC 1 - they have been using the same D/A section for the longest time. Just adding the USB and some other functions over time.

Some people have commented that it sounded detailed but overly clinical - not that I have listened to one.

Wonder if system synergy is what's important when choosing these components?

her shann

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 11
I don't think anyone mentioned the DAC1, but they've added USB.
tongue.gif

The last review of the DAC1 through stereopile, however, said that they thought it sounded better this time around. Maybe some components have changed inside....

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:48 AM Post #6 of 11
DAC1 vs DAC1 USB vs DAC1 Pre: take a look at the lengthy Benchmark DAC1 thread in this Forum; Elias has provided commentary over the past months wrt design differences (functionality, circuit, components, etc.).

"alpha DAC": Berkely Audio Design Associates. Several of the inventors of HDCD have created a high-end 24/192 DAC which includes upgraded SOTA HDCD decoding (both 16- and 24-bit flavors). Marketing tie in to upcoming availability of 24/192 recording master files from Reference Recordings, should be exceptional!

I spoke with BADA today at length, from all info the alpha certainly seems to be a superb unit. Of course, the price point is about 5x the OP's upper bound..... however, 5K$ is similar to or much cheaper than the few other still-obtainable standalone DACs which decode HDCD... and far less expensive that the professional reference standard Pacific Microsonics Model Two, which is essentially unavailable and highly sought after in the pro world -- used units (when available) change hands for many tens of thousands of dollars.....

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benchmark has a new product that is like a combination of the DAC1 USB and a pre-amp (i.e. it supports some analog inputs in addition to the usual digital inputs):

Benchmark DAC1 PRE

I thought Wavelength was going to have some announcements about new DACs (or updates to existing DACs) using their new asynchronous USB technology, but I haven't heard anything about it yet.

The Wavelength site (Wavelength Audio, USB DACS, Crimson, Cosecant, Brick, Proton, Tube DACs) lists the Crimson, Cosecant, and Brick as all having been updated to async. It also lists a portable USB DAC/headphone amp called the Proton that is supposed to ship this month, called the Proton, that gets its power from some not-well-explained combination of the USB bus and Li-Ion batteries. Very intriguing.

There is an update to the Musical Fidelity X-DAC that is supposed to be really nice, and at $1500 it might steal some sales away from Bel Canto.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 11
I really wish more companies would come out with contenders in the $500ish range. There seems to be a pretty big gap in the market at that price.

Mar 23, 2008 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jingo Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really wish more companies would come out with contenders in the $500ish range. There seems to be a pretty big gap in the market at that price.

Headroom has that price bracketed, with the Micro DAC at $399 and the Ultra Micro (my current DAC) at $699. There are also two very highly regarded portable DAC/amp combos right around $500: the Pico and the Predator.

Also note that the new version of the Musical Fidelity X-CAN, which can be had for around $600, now includes a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back