Any last words before I buy a VPI Scout?
Mar 13, 2004 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
so.. I pulled the trigger on a dealer demo Grado PH-1 and am about to purchase a brand new VPI Scout this which would be outfitted with a Grado Reference Platinum cartridge (5.0mV) when it arrived.

So far the best price I've found is $1485 shipped (not sure if this includes dust cover) and I've gotta factor in the price of more interconnects to go to and from the phonostage (previous preamp had phono section).
This is turning into more of a financial commitment then i'd anticipated and I was wondering if there are any last words of advice before I go for it.

Hopefully this (along with my newly acquired Meridian) will end my upgraditis for a while (atleast source wise
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Mar 14, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 13
congratulations and have fun!! there's no looking back now...

a load of information is available on audio asylum and audiogon, to name 2 great resources. the basic advice is to make sure you get the scout on a sturdy, leveled platform, and make sure the table is perfectly level. real important with the type of jmw unipivot arm that you'll be using. also, if you haven't make sure you come up with a good record and stylus cleaning regimen. doesn't have to be expensive (relatively) or time consuming, but dirty records will screw up the performance the scout is capable of. all kinds of options, but at the very least get some disc doctor brushes and fluids. and if you can come up with an extra couple of hundred, think about a vacum cleaner.

anyhow, im sure you'll get lots of good info here and those other places. just enjoy your purchase!

Mar 14, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks sberger, I think I'll pull the trigger on wed. I'll do my best to level the turntable shelf, but it'll be hard to be precise... I've got a self-built flexi rack and though I'd gotten it pretty damn close with my music hall table, it was never DEAD ON.

As for the cleaning regimen. I have a zero dust stylus cleaner, and audio research carbon fiber brush, nitty gritty, gruv glide & disc doctor sequence that'll leave my vinyl clean enough to eat off.

I'm excited!

Fred

Mar 14, 2004 at 1:19 PM Post #4 of 13
I just bought a Scout from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. Better dial him up, he can better that price by a few dollars with his 10% Head-Fi discount. Great service, I sent him my cartridge and he set it up for me to. Don't forget to get the Shure Stylus Force Gauge if you don't have one already. The table is awesome. It won't sound very good when you first use it but after only a few hours it really opens up and VPI claims it gets better the more you use it. After just a few hours it sounded better than my HW19 MK3, Rega RB600 combo. I went with Silver Dragon IC's and love them. Pricey, but I wanted to hear all that was available. Setup once you get it is very easy. The spikes are adjustable so final leveling the platter is a breeze.

Mar 16, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks Kent,

The price difference is negligeble with shipping (~$10) , but Todd is a great guy and I'd prefer to give him my business. I talked to him today and he's going to install my Grado Platinum for me before shipping the unit out (it's being priority mailed to him now).

I'm getting excited! My PH-1 got here today. Next week should be a good one.

Fred

Mar 16, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 13
Congrats, sounds like you've got a really sweet table on the way. i contemplated one (well beyond my budget) before i bought my P3 (which is a lot less!) and was very impressed. (different sound, but the Scout was much closer to my liking than the other VPIs)

my only comment is that you may be underbudgeting on your cartridge. while the Platinum is no slouch, i think you'll find down the road that the table will benefit from a better cartridge.

i'm a big fan of the Clearaudio Aurum series. (i have the Beta S). great microdynamics and high resolution without being harsh on the top end. highly recommended. another good option (which is what i heard on the Scout) are the Dynavector 20 series. real great sound IMHO.

There are also Clearaudio and Dynavectors near the same price point as your Platinum as well.

regardless, enjoy. i'm sure you'll get many hours (hopefully years if you avoid upgraditis) of enjoyment out of your 'table.

congrats!

Mar 16, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 13
dfong87,

I already own the Platinum. I was using it on an MMF-5. My mid-term plan is to upgrade to a used low output sonata. I haven't yet made long term plans, but will likely have a couple cartridge upgrades under my belt by thsi time next year.

Mar 16, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Gopher
Hopefully this (along with my newly acquired Meridian) will end my upgraditis for a while (atleast source wise
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

Well I'll be ready to buy it from you when upgraditis strikes you again in June or maybe July. August latest.
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Remember from here on out, it is more of a sideways move then up or "better". Don't lose yourself in new shiny gear, just fine tune your hi-fi now. It is too bad you are already thinking about upgrading (or not upgrading) again when you haven't received your new gear yet.

When is one happy with their system? When they stop thinking about when (not what) they will upgrade next. (IMO)

Mar 16, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Andrew,

Truer words were never spoken. Unfortunatly (and you can ask my girlfriend about this one), I have a very obsessive personality. I sort of plan my upgrades incrementally and one in advance. I'm thinking with a Meridian & Scout my souces will be set for a good while though.

As for amplification... well, I'm already longing for seperates. I'm also considering checking out bogrand ssr speaker cables & interconnects in the next couple weeks. Oh well, soon I'll reach a point where even I have to admit enough is enough... ideally this will be by summer.

Then I can spend a couple grand on room treatments next year @ law school and be done with audio... until I'm a professional
very_evil_smiley.gif

Fred

Mar 17, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 13
Well written Andrew. I bought my Scout with the intention that I'm basically done upgrading that side of the system. The Dynavector DV20XH is a good match and the phono stage will be Ray Samuels' XR-2. I think that, unlike digital, a solid investment in a TT will remain just that over time.

Mar 17, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #13 of 13
So gopher, if you ever lose "Control" of your "urges" i would be more than happy to "hold on" to your scout until you can get ahold of yourself... or maybe longer, it's all good
evil_smiley.gif

Really, i hope you enjoy the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back