Any good universal SACD+DVD-A player?
Sep 3, 2003 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

yfei

100+ Head-Fier
Interested in getting a SACD+DVD-A player. So many cheap DVD-A (100+) and SACD (50+) in local Bestbuy store, I don't want to miss either format.
Can philips 963sa play DVD-a also? the specification does not mention dvd-a capability, but Bestbuy says all DVD player is able to play DVD-A, i am confused.
Pioneer DV-563A's SACD playback is not very good?
what other choices can i have?

Sep 3, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi!

I just got the Denon DVD 2900 for $513 USD from http://www.ecost.com. Please keep in mind that it is a refurbished DVD-Video/Audio/SACD player. They are great to deal with and they are a reputable online merchant. The Denon DVD 2900 has garnered mostly positive over negative reviews from various audio-related websites; do a search. I would say of mine that the Redbook CD playback is not as good as my NAD C 541i HDCD/CD player but I need to continue burning-in my new Denon DVD player. I might need to keep tweaking the configuration settings as well. So far, the DVD-Video quality is top-notch to my eyes; I don't consider myself a video-phile but I have based my initial impressions by comparing my Denon's DVD-Video playback to my other DVD-Video players. The Redbook CD playback is..."polite" and "relaxed" along with being "detailed." Where my NAD has "body" and "soul" (aka warmth), my Denon has a more "neutral," "relaxed," "polite" sound. These are my initial impressions.

Why don't you give us exactly the kind of budget you can invest in a universal player? Also, why don't you tell us the kind of video / sound reproduction qualities you want the most?

Sep 3, 2003 at 7:53 PM Post #3 of 8
My budget is $400, video is not very important, I am not a big movie fan, and my tv is small and crappy.
Music is the most important, I have NAD c540 (not sure how far it is behind c541i), the new player's redbook quality should be an improvement.

Sep 5, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #4 of 8
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one, I think, that's in that price range is the entry-level Pioneer. It's supposed to be really good, for an entry level component.

Sep 5, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Why don't you ask JMederios about the Pioneer DV-563A DVD-Video/Audio & SACD universal player? It retails for $170 USD. You may be able to get it cheaper by going the used route or hunting for a refurbished model.

What are your priorities in terms of how you want your sound reproduced? Is Redbook CD playback as important as the playback quality of the new hi-rez formats? Can you afford to budget an additional $120 USD from your maximum of $400 USD by waiting a bit longer and saving up your money? 'Cause if you can, you might be able to snatch a refurbished Denon DVD 2900. It is a lot of machine for the money. Don't get me wrong: I'm not trying to push it on you. Then, there is the possibility that NAD will release the NAD C 542 in the USA soon along with a universal hi-rez DVD player.

Sep 5, 2003 at 2:14 PM Post #6 of 8
I really am enjoying the Pioneer 563A. I use it for all of it's intended applications. Soundwise, it compares favorably with the three Philips 963SA I have had...but it does not have the upsampling for redbook. (or the cool blue LEDS
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise..SACD and DVD-A sound terrific and the picture out of the component output is superb once I calibrated my television correctly. And the redbook playback is great if one switches off the digital outputs.

I find the OSD user interface easier to understand and use than the Philips and the remote is alot more responsive.

It has a seperate pair of analog outputs in addition to the multichannel outputs.

The included instruction book is a bit clearer on sedtup than the Philips as well.

I am very pleased with this player..and at $170 it's a steal.

John

Sep 5, 2003 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 8
I really am enjoying the Pioneer 563A. I use it for all of it's intended applications. Soundwise, it compares favorably with the three Philips 963SA I have had...but it does not have the upsampling for redbook. (or the cool blue LEDS
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise..SACD and DVD-A sound terrific and the picture out of the component output is superb once I calibrated my television correctly. And the redbook playback is great if one switches off the digital outputs.

I find the OSD user interface easier to understand and use than the Philips and the remote is alot more responsive.

It has a seperate pair of analog outputs in addition to the multichannel outputs.

The included instruction book is a bit clearer on sedtup than the Philips as well.

I am very pleased with this entry-level player..and at $170 it's a steal.

John

Sep 5, 2003 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 8
The Pioneer 563A really didn't sound all that good to me. Sure it plays DVD-A and SACDs, but in my opionion the SACD playback was about at the quality of a cheap CD-player's regular CD playback. I didn't hear anything special. Plus, regular CDs sounded unpleasant to me. I don't own any DVD-A disks so I don't know how they sound on it. I suppose if you really do have to have all of the formats it's an option, but for $400 you can probably find a lot better sound. Try checking used players on Audiogon. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back