Any Good Tube Amp for GS1000 that cost US$500?
Sep 2, 2007 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Float

New Head-Fier
gs1000.gif
To GS1000 owners, please comment.

Hi all,

Is there any tube amp that could sufficiently match with the GS1000?

As I am not able to audition them, I am reluctant to spend more than US$500 on the headphone amp which I have not even auditioned with my own ears.

Generally, I like to listen with music where I am satisfied with the Westone UM2 in-ear monitors (though after using it for 2-3 yrs, I finally feel that in-ear monitors are uncomfortable but it serves the purpose for listening to music while in transit / commute). I bought the UM2 and preferred the performance compared to the Shure E3c because its difference is Significant even during casual listening. That said, in the same spirit, I am thinking of an upgrade of a tube amp whereby it would provide enough power to drive the GS1000 so that the headphones could perform to its potential. (however, please bear in mind that as much as I desire to have a good tube amp, spending >USD$1000 to me on a tube amp which I have not audition with my own ears is not rational, as such, my choices are naturally limited)

My previous short experience listening to the Ray Samuel's portable amp (with my UM2) is that (To the fanboys of RS products, please forgive me) the difference in the music after it is amped by the Tomahawk / Hornet was that its difference was insignificant to me. (I hope I did not offend anyone with my feedback as no malice is intended). Meanwhile, I was reasonably excited when I listened to the Dared MP5 amp with my UM2, I felt that the difference of the UM2 being driven by the Dared MP5 was significant as I was listening to the same recording whereby there were 'new' details which I could hear without the need to concentrate too hard (as if I was on an inspection job). That sums up my thoughts, I do not mind spending on a good equipment. But, I do not want to spend on equipment such that after spending the money I ask myself what have I spent on? (That was what I felt when I bought the cables and interconnects for which presently to me have a placebo effect) My impression on the UM2 driven by the Dared MP5 was that I could hear details from the recording which prior was not present. But, the more important factor was that I could vouch for the increase in details by the Dared MP5 from my UM2 without concentrating very hard to detect the difference. That to me is the most important factor, to be able to hear a Signicant Improvement after I upgrade any part of my audio equipment.

That said, maybe I have a pair of lousy ears as our ears start to decline in its hearing ability slowly when we become adults. I once met an audiophile who had his ears tested so that he could correctly understand the range of sound frequency that he is able to hear. I agree with him in essence that our ears is also part of the equation in the enjoyment of music. Another older audiophile whom I met told me he spent US$50,000 on audio equipment which he presently regrets as it is a waste of money and he presently listens to a mid-range set-up which to him is good enough. He told me that listening to music is a form of entertainment, so "do listen for pleasure and not listen for frustration". In his words, which I agree, he adviced me that listening to music is a form of pleasure, but if you were to listen to music as if you are an audio engineer concentrating and picking on every other fault that you try to find... then it's not a pleasureful activity and maybe it's the mindset that should change. I do agree with him that we should not listen to music as if we are performing QC (Quality Control) checks as it would instantly deprived the leisure out of the pleasure and turn it into a very pressure-ful activity.

Thanks for reading up to this point... do let me know your thoughts, however OT, but no flame war please, if I had offended the RS fans, I am sorry, I most probably have a pair of bad ears and an unrefined tastebud.

As such, could any GS1000 owners give me any suggestions of a tube amp that they have auditioned or owned that they feel would bring out the performance of the GS1000 within the US$500 budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back