Any Arguements Against Buying Refurbished?
Aug 26, 2005 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

spaceman

Headphoneus Supremus
I've never bought a refurbished audio component, but I have a chance to pick up a Cambridge Audio 640C for a very good price. Includes full factory warranty and a 30 day exchange from the dealer.

Aug 26, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 10
I've purchased a number of factory refurbished units, from iPods, to computers, laptops, and cd players. I've never had a problem with any of them, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase refurbs in the future.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
I've never bought a refurbished audio component, but I have a chance to pick up a Cambridge Audio 640C for a very good price. Includes full factory warranty and a 30 day exchange from the dealer.

Sounds good. Especially the 30 day exchange, since the 640Cs have the "humming transformer" issue. Supposed to sound brilliant for the price, though.

/JF

Aug 26, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
Sounds good. Especially the 30 day exchange, since the 640Cs have the "humming transformer" issue. Supposed to sound brilliant for the price, though.

/JF

Yeah, this is my main concern. However, I have spoken with others who have not experienced the humming issue with their 640Cs. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer now about a few other questions regarding returns. If everything seems kosher, then I'll grab it. Thanks for the input guys.

Is this strange or what.........the "word" of the day on my Yahoo home page is Refurbish
blink.gif

Aug 26, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 10
I bought a refurbished amp for my home theater, and it worked perfectly. But, when I recently purchased a refurbished Koss ESP/950 electrostatic headphone, there was distortion in one channel. This was not a problem, however, since Koss has an outstanding lifetime warranty. I sent the unit back, and without the need for a purchase receipt or any other documentation, Koss replaced it with a perfectly working unit in about 1 1/2 weeks. There was a $6 S&H charge, however.

Aug 27, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #6 of 10
My only experience with refubs is with Pass Labs gear. Couldn't tell them from new... I almost NEVER buy audio gear new. The depreciation is worse than a car! And with so many tweaker stereophiles out there, buying high end equipment for cheap (relatively speaking of course) is pretty easy between the used market, refurbs, and demos.

Case in point, I just bought a Magnum Dynalab tuner in fantastic shape for 70% off what it cost new! And to think some people actually buy their gear at Best Buy...
rs1smile.gif

Aug 27, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #8 of 10
It was listed on Amazon.com for $364.92, and was actually delivered through a firm called tech_for_less_inc I ordered it in mid-July.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
sorry offtopic, but where did you find the koss eps950s refurbished?
thanks

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Well, I placed the order today with Spirit Sound, it shipped today, and I will have it on Monday. They were great to deal with on the phone and were quick to answer my emails. Cambridge Audio 640C (silver to match my Rockhopper M^3) factory refurb with full warranty for under $400.00. Hopefully the hum issue was taken care of during the refurb.
eek.gif
If not, at least I know CA is taking care of it now for those who feel they need a replacement transformer.

Aug 27, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceman
Well, I placed the order today with Spirit Sound, it shipped today, and I will have it on Monday. They were great to deal with on the phone and were quick to answer my emails. Cambridge Audio 640C (silver to match my Rockhopper M^3) factory refurb with full warranty for under $400.00. Hopefully the hum issue was taken care of during the refurb.
eek.gif
If not, at least I know CA is taking care of it now for those who feel they need a replacement transformer.

Yep, all new Cambridge CDPs have now a new (humless) toroidal transformer.

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/forums...ID=1436&PGID=4

The 640C suddenly became a lot more interesting to me, especially since I (as of yesterday) also have a Cambridge amp that I'm very satisfied with (I'll try to post some 340A vs. 640A impressions in a few days)

/JF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back