Any Arcam 72/82 owners upgrade their DAC?
Mar 29, 2004 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kyo

Head-Fier
I'm kinda stuck on a source to get, and given the scarcity of the Sony SCD-C555ES, I was thinking of getting a used Arcam 72T and upgrading the DAC to the 93 version. Anyone else try this yet? I tried contacting an authorized dealer, but they've yet to answer my e-mail.
Can't really think of any other players to get around the 500-600 range with future potential. Given my musical preferences, the hi-rez formats don't really appeal to me, but HDCD would be a definite plus. Another possibility would be the Music Hall, and if Matthew from sacdmods.com were to offer an upgrade with the zapfilter, I'd be all over that. Any suggestions?

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #2 of 5
The ModWright RAM Signature CD-25 looks pretty sweet. A nice tubed output stage is always nice but that mod can be rather expensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd say you were better off selling the player and buying the higher spec player to start off with (say 2nd hand if you can). It'll probably cost you less, and keep its value better.

Mar 30, 2004 at 2:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I keep posting about this place, but only because its the only other place (that I see online) that has experience with Zapfilters. Sound Odyssey is selling modded Music Halls for $650 and I am considering buying one and then having them throw in a Zapfilter down the road. Total cost would be around $850 though. Still, you'd pretty much get the sound of the sacdmods 555 but at about $300-400 less (no changer though
frown.gif
)

Mar 30, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for all the responses!

I saw the RAM signature, but since it has a tubed output, and the fact that I have a MPX3 on the way, might lead to a bit too much richness in the sound. I had no idea that Sound Odyssey did the ZapFilter mod, definitely going to check into that. Thanks stryker! As much as I would like to wait till I had a bit more money to burn, there's no way I have the will power to keep the amp sitting there idle.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back