Anti- Static Gun and CD Players
Oct 28, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Do you suppose the drive hub in a CD player might be grounded?

See ya
Steve

Any of them I've taken apart were plastic with a metal bearing. So I would say no.
(Weren't you supposed to send me a CD a couple weeks back?)
TR

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
philodox, after reading your post, I come to a different conclusion than you about the statmat. I think it was working on the disc itself, and it just takes a while for the disc to build up enough static to be noticeable after removing the mat. It could be working on both the component and the disc also.

I doubt it as the effects from the statmat were lasting [to a point] even when switching CD's... only if you waited a while without it and then added it could a difference be heard.

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
Weren't you supposed to send me a CD a couple weeks back?

Haven't had a chance yet. I'm setting up a computer system at my office, and it's sucking up all my energy. I'll put something together soon.

Thanks
Steve

Oct 31, 2005 at 11:33 AM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
how about antistatic spray for clothes? anyone tried it? its a lot cheaper than the pricey static removing machines out there.

Radio Shack sells and anti static spray that works well. Works good on TV screens to keep the dust off also. Never tried it on CD's but it does need to be reapplied on a regular basis to remain effective on the TV & power cords.
TR

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #21 of 22
The following link provides a useful discussion of the possible role of anti static guns, arguing that it is likely that dust accumulates on a spinning disc because of static build-up. http://www.iar-80.com/page53.html. The dust then impairs the reading of digital data.

This article deals convincingly and in great detail with a whole range of tweak issues. In particular it discusses the essentially analog nature of "digital" signals.

Jan 26, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #22 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afroide
If anyone has a CD player with digital out, however, it should be an easy thing to measure - dump it to a wav file on a PC with and without the anti static gun, then analyze them.

Great idea! In fact, another source of data could even be added to the comparison: use the CD drive in the PC to rip the disc to WAV to compare to the others. (This would only be valid when using extremely reliable ripping software, such as Exact Audio Copy.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back