Mar 12, 2023 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

deafLovesMusic

Head-Fier
Antelope Audio has just released the new Zeo portable D-A & headphone amp:
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/antelope-zeo-portable-d-headphone-amp

https://en.antelopeaudio.com/products/zeo/

Tech Specs (source: Zeo's user manual)

Analog Output
  • Dual CS43198 DAC chip with up to 130dB Dynamic range (A-weighed)
  • THD + N:-115 dB
  • Frequency response: 20-20kHz +/- 0.5dB
  • Dual RiCORE RT6863 amp
  • Headphone output impedance <1 Ohms
  • Power Output: 310mW @ 32ohm headphones

Device connection
1 × USB-C - USB 2.0 class compliant

Power
Bus-powered through USB-C

Clocking System
4th Generation Acoustically Focused Clocking (AFC™), 64-bit DDS

Sample Rates (kHz)
44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352, 384
DoP: 64- 128

Physical Dimensions
75 х 30 х 16 mm (length, width, height)
Weight: 60g (approx.)

Has anyone had the opportunity to test this portable DAC?
What are your impressions regarding sound quality, instrument separation and soundstage?

Thank you.

Edit:
Updated the dimensions.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 11
Yeah, I have it. It's pretty good overall - fairly neutral and balanced, leaning slightly towards dark for a more forgiving and mature sound. Timbre is realistic with decent weight behind the notes. Instrument separation is good but the soundstage is about average coz, like I said, it's going for a touch darker presentation which lends itself to depth rather than width and overall perception of spaciousness. It's still a bit early to pass judgment on it - I'll try to review it next weekend if I have the time.

May 12, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 11
Physical Dimensions
128 х 27 х 89 mm

You got the dimensions wrong, the product page says :

Physical Dimensions of ZEO:

May 12, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 11
You got the dimensions wrong, the product page says :

Physical Dimensions of ZEO:
Thank you for this correction.
I have just updated it in my post above.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 11
Any updated 2nd take opinions on this? Seems to cost $99 usd now.

Feb 17, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #7 of 11
From what I gather they used the same components of their high-end audio interfaces which are just matched by Chord Hugo 2. I have Antelope Audio Zen Go on my home-studio and owned Hugo 2 until a couple years ago. Zeo is powered by the same 64-bit Acoustically Focused Clocking that is key for the sonic precision of their studio-tier audio interfaces, for professional studio sound, among other components, like a Dual DAC with a A‑weighted dynamic range of 130dB, the same used in Antelope's audio interfaces. Among the best in industry. The headphone amplifier features a Dual Ricore Amp and 32-bit PCM decoding, enhancing stereo width, providing superior detail, and offering organic dynamics, as they say. I will have it soon and let's see if that is really happening at this price range. Would be amazing. As an Antelope Audio user and long time custommer, I can just imagine this portable DAC blowing several 500€ DACs out of the water.

BTW, I went to Antelope Audio website and this is a special offer. Regular price is 250€. They are doing this to pretty much every product. When the offer expires, bye, bye 129€.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 11
From what I gather they used the same components of their high-end audio interfaces which are just matched by Chord Hugo 2. I have Antelope Audio Zen Tour on my home-studio and own Hugo 2. The 64bit Acoustically Focused Clocking is used on Zeo, which ensures studio-level sonic accuracy, among other components, like a Dual DAC with a A‑weighted dynamic range of 130dB, the same used on Antelope's audio interfaces. Among the best in industry. The hedphone amplifier features a Dual Ricore Amp and 32-bit PCM decoding, enhancing stereo width, providing superior detail, and offering organic dynamics, they say. I will have it soon and let's see if that is really happening at this price range. Would be amazing. As an Antelope Audio user and long time custommer, I can just imagine this portable DAC blowing several 500€ DACs out of the water.

BTW, I went to Antelope Audio website and this is a special offer. Regular price is 250€. They are doing this to pretty much every product. When the offer expires, bye, bye 129€.
Don't get your hopes too high. Like I said before, it's very decent overall, but IMO 100-120 bucks is what it should have cost to begin with and I told them that.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #10 of 11
I've just read that FiiO BTR15 has a big soundstage width and imaging, great amplitude, it's airy and open sounding even in the mid and treble regions. Maybe I can come up with a comparison with Zeo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back