Another SPDIF thread.
Aug 26, 2010 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MrFisherman

Head-Fier
I didn't want to hijack the other SPDIF that's going on right now thread since it wasn't quite OT.

I’ve recently decided to give my SPDIF Coax out on my computer a try.  Until now I have been running out through my USB port to my MF V-DAC.  I ran from the coax out to the V-DAC.  In comparison to the USB out it sounded a little thin.  I did several A/B tests on a bunch of different songs.  I did have to plug and unplug from USB to coax so I don’t know if that qualifies as a strict true A/B.  There was a couple of seconds lag time between the switching.

I actually expected the coax to sound better.  It wasn’t worlds apart.  In fact, I’d say it’s nothing I can’t live with.  But I’d prefer not to if it can be helped.

Would this be expected?  For SPDIF coax not to sound as good as USB?

The mobo that I am using is okay. P5E64-WS-ASUS-EVOLUTION.  I don’t know how much that should matter.

I actually tested the SPDIF because I was considering buying a CIA VDA-2.  It doesn’t have a USB port.  I did buy it.  I’m not sure how much I like it.  The MF V-DAC with the USB cable sounds more…full, is the only way I know how to describe it.  It’s about the same difference between the two interfaces with the V-DAC.

Any idea what’s going on here?  Anything I can do to make this sound better?

Thanks.

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #2 of 6
What you are describing is extremely unlikely. Not being rude. You are saying that one bitstream is so altered that it degrades in a very specific manner lower frequencies (Thinner). this is really not viable unless there is a hidden DSP that is selectively mangling one stream at either the PC or the DAC end, how likely is this ?

However, some digital devices due to resampling and so on can give you digital streams that are  louder (not bit-perfect) , my own WD HDTV delivers a digital output that is a measurable 1db louder than the digital output on my PC which is utterly bizarre but verifiable.

Louder tends to sound fuller.

The other option is that there really is no audible difference and you are victim to expectations.

If one stream is mangled then it will be measurably different, you can run the streams either digital or analog out of the DAC and record it then compare the differences if there are any.

To get rid of expectations you can have a pal do the swapping but not tell you which you are listening to and change/no change randomly, if you can still consistently hear a difference over say 12 trials then one of the streams is compromised.

If so which is faulty, well you can take the original source file and do a spectral analysis on it then repeat the process for recordings of both output streams and compare the differences. The least different is the winner. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
What you are describing is extremely unlikely.

The other option is that there really is no audible difference and you are victim to expectations.

[size=11pt]I’ll write it off to expectations then.  Granted, my expectations ran the other way, but no matter.  I’d rather it be that than an actual problem.  Thanks for the response.[/size]

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 6
While Asus boards are great, their onboard audio chips suck (except the Rampage boards, which use X-fi).  I have an Asus and when I installed an Auzentech card, the difference was huge.  You're better off with the USB DAC.

Aug 28, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 6
save your hearing for the music and don't analyze to much,   
or switch gear to something else ,  but dont spend to long analyzing you will drive yourself mad. (toslink /coaxial anyone?) and if you cant a/b something within 5 seconds, it is questionable, and u will always question it.
i use toslink but coaxial is the way to go, of course i prefer analog

Aug 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
While Asus boards are great, their onboard audio chips suck (except the Rampage boards, which use X-fi).  I have an Asus and when I installed an Auzentech card, the difference was huge.  You're better off with the USB DAC.

I can second this observation. I have an Asus Maximus Formula mobo which has a SPDIF header, it pales in SQ compared to the Auzen prelude SPDIF out. IMO of course.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back