Another Mini-Meet w/ vorlon1
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
Part 1 of 2:

Today I got together w/ vorlon1 and we had the opportunity to test a bunch of portable amps. Probably about 18 different examples. Of consequence to this thread was vorlon1's P51.

It was interesting to me that we had a few amps to compare w/ which many here have and which IMO would be a good point of reference. Specifically we had two SR71, one SR71A, a Portaphile V2^2, a MiniBox-E+ and a bunch of Xin Reference Boards.

Anyways, I was very impressed w/ the P51 it clearly blows the doors of the SR71A. It in my opinion has as good a bass as the Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed, and it has better extension and clearer more open presentation which makes it easier to place the instruments.

Then I compared it w/ the SR71. I can see how someone could have both and be in heaven. I found the bass on the P51 to be a bit punchier and deeper, but it never was out of control nor boomy. However to me the SR71 has a bit more extension a bit more open/clearer. Mind you they are very close and if you did not have them side by side you would not be able to tell the difference. The P51 for someone who carries it in their pocket is a big advantage over the SR71. I use it as a transportable and in my case the size makes no difference, I actually prefer the bigger footprint of the SR71 which allows me to rest my iPod on it and hold them w/ a rubber band.

I then compared them w/ the MiniBox-E+ w/ the stock op-amps and I still feel it was the better amp of all the ones mentioned. So to recap:

1. MiniBox-E+
2. P51 tied w/ the SR71
3. Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed
4. SR71A

BTW, the difference between 1 and 2 is very minor and 3 is not to far behind either. The SR71A IMO is a distant 4th place.

Of all the Xin Reference Boards both vorlon1 and I agreed that the B2 and C2 boards were the best sounding. These have about 240 hours so back to burning the go, I hope to get together w/ vorlon1 when they have closer to 750 hours which should be in three weeks.

Note: Although we had the T4, D10 by iBasso and various boards by Xin these were not fully burnt in and it would not be appropriate to post impressions at this time. Leave you with the following picture.

MiniMeetWithVorlonOnJanuary24of2008.jpg

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 14
I would give away one of my kidneys just to be there with you and vorlon1. Such a lucky buch you two to have so many amps to play with!

Just to echo your findings, I think I should also put my personal amp ranking (those that I have ever used and listened to)

1. Three Stones MiniBox-E+ (AD8610)
2. Xin SuperMicro-IV (04/11/2007)
3. Xin SuperMini-IV 2008
4. RSA The Tomahawk
5. Heed Canamp 2007
8. GoVibe-V6 (AD8620)

* Coming up my way, Triad Audio Lisa III and I dearly want to hear for myself how this legend would fare.
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Large4mat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish you guys had included the Corda 2Move or 3Move since they utilize the AD8610.

We have tested the Corda 2Move and reported in a thread which at the time had like 35-40 portable amps. As I recall it is a nice sounding unit but which IMO is not a top 5 contender. YMMV.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Part 1 of 2:

BTW, the difference between 1 and 2 is very minor and 3 is not to far behind either. The SR71 IMO is a distant 4th place.

I'm sure from your description you meant this to indicate the SR71a's status.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Part 1 of 2:

I then compared them w/ the MiniBox-E+ w/ the stock op-amps and I still feel it was the better amp of all the ones mentioned. So to recap:

1. MiniBox-E+
2. P51 tied w/ the SR71
3. Portaphile V2^2 Maxxed
4. SR71A

BTW, the difference between 1 and 2 is very minor and 3 is not to far behind either.

Mrarroyo,

If you owned a P-51 would you buy a MiniBox-E+? If so, why? The largest of the very minor difference is/are what? Would you then get rid of the P-51 (size and forms aside)?

Thanks.

Roger

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will the Part 2 be posted? I am eager to hear more on P-51 from you and vorlon1. P-51 is the next item in my shortlist.

Cheers.

For the P51 there is no Part 2. vorlon1 prefers the P51 followed by the SR71. I prefer the Minibox-E+ followed by the SR71 w/ the P51 very close behind.

The funny thing is that we even discussed the ergonomics, for example he uses IEM's almost exclusively during the work day. So for him the small size of the P51 is a great asset, I hardly ever use IEM's and my iPod sits on the amp connected w/ an ALO line out. The ipod, line out, and amp sit on my desk to which I connect a full size can or maybe the Yuin OK1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwirugby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mrarroyo,

If you owned a P-51 would you buy a MiniBox-E+? If so, why? The largest of the very minor difference is/are what? Would you then get rid of the P-51 (size and forms aside)?

Thanks.

Roger

In my case I would not buy a P51 since I already own the MiniBox-E+ and the SR71. If I only owned the MiniBox-E+ I would probably buy the P51. The P51 is a very nice sounding amp that surprises w/ it punch, dynamics, clear presentation, and small size.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

In my case I would not buy a P51 since I already own the MiniBox-E+ and the SR71. If I only owned the MiniBox-E+ I would probably buy the P51. The P51 is a very nice sounding amp that surprises w/ it punch, dynamics, clear presentation, and small size.

And if you owned a P-51 and not a MiniBox-E+, would you by a MiniBox?

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 14
I am sure this picture with so many xin references boils the blood of many with a sad story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back