Another Magwire Product Released
Jul 19, 2003 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
Hey all, just a heads up: it seems Jim Hess has released a new magwire speaker cable.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc....pkr&1059185439

I had the luxury of auditioning a prototype of this cable (didn't have the same beautiful jacket), and they did alot for my system. I've been meaning to write a review, but I seem to be a bit too much of a procastinator for that, so here's a copy of the letter I sent to Jim of my impressions.

Hey Jim,

How goes it? I received my amplifier back from Jolida (actually it’s a new unit), and wanted to give you some initial impressions of my system with your cables. Since receiving my unit back, I have moved your Magwire Origionals from between my source and headamp to my main rig (replacing Outlaws Ics), and I have replaced Kimber 8TC with your 12 AWG Magnet wire going directly from my amp, unterminated to my baby Magnepan speakers.

Though the speaker cable and new amp are not fully burned in, right off the bat I can tell the cables are substantially more neutral than my other cables.
Going back from the Magwire to the Kimber and Outlaws, the seem seems almost overly warm.

Your Magwires also seem be very fast cables, listening to the strings Eric Clapton strums in his unplugged album they are fast in attack and well resolved (not the best wording, I have a hard time describing sound)—by this I mean the sound is clear and detailed, no sense of blurring on acoustic guitar strings, snare drums, high hats/cymbals etc.

I’ve also noticed so far that the cables seem to have a more upfront sound. Not only are strings fast in attack, very detailed and (to my ears) accurately represented, but they seem to be strummed with authority. By this I mean it was similar to going from (you’re a head-fier so I’m sure you’ll get this comparison) something laid back like a Sennheiser HD600 to something more forward (but not overly so) like a Grado RS-1 being fed by a tube amp (I’ve only ever heard these with tubes—I assume this tames their upfront nature a bit compared to S.S.)

The sound of the cables seems to be well balanced. Good tight detailed low end—I think it’s tighter than the kimber, but I’m not sure it goes as deep, the midrange seems clean/clear, uncolored and just very realistic—sometimes I like a little thicker a midrange (particularly on some of the lighter voiced female vocalists (ie. Rebecca Pidgeon) than the heavier toned (ie patricia barber), as it can become a bit much), and the maggies are (to my ears pretty transparent), but I’m enjoying thoroughly the cleanliness and accuracy of this. Norah Jones’ voice in her SACD issue is silky smooth and pleasant (with some tube head amps I’ve listened to, her heavy textured voice can be a little much, though its hard to make a voice like that unpleasant). The top end of these cables go as high as I like them, they seem to better represent the higher frequencies then the kimbers did, as by comparission to my ears the kimbers were a little darker—this top end energy is a welcome thing (I used DH-Labs Series II BL-1s for a while). The music coming through is never bright, with great resolution and control from top to bottom.

There is one so-so thing I noticed. I am getting the feeling the sweet spot with the kimber is a little larger. I still have my speakers about 6 feet apart facing the same couch, but I remember having a little more area to play with and still be in ‘the zone’. Despite this, I feel as if imagining has probably improved a little bit as I’ve caught myself darting my head off to the side hearing thinking someone was with me hearing the same songs I’ve heard a thousand times (IE. The beginning Kettle drums in Rebecca Pidgeon’s Looking for a long time love).

I definatly like these cables, and will be looking for some Teflon jacketing for it as soon as I can spare some cash (I just dropped a ridiculous amount into my system this week—ridiculous for a college kid anyway). I really appreciate you sending ‘em over, and I will not hesitate to recommend them around. I’ll try and modify this letter into a more formal review type thing and drop it on head-fi one of these days when I get a chance.

Thanks again Jim, I’ll keep you updated with burn in,

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

Back