Another IEM for me thread
Apr 4, 2008 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aimless1

Headphoneus Supremus
Like many, I have been waiting for the Westone3 to be introduced. First quarter of 2008 has come and gone with no further word from Westone. I really don't see the point in waiting any longer.

I'm interested in the Westone UM2, Livewire T1, Shure SE530PTH and the Super fi.10 They all seem like top contenders for my portable system. I'd like your views.

Please keep in mind that my source will be the Cowon D2. My portable amp is a Ray Samuels Tomahawk. I listen to all kinds of music but mostly Classic Rock, Classical and Jazz. You can throw in New Age, Celtic, Alison Krause & etc from time to time.

My top two choices right now would be the UM2 or SE530, but I have an open mind. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd add the Sleek Audio SA6's to that list, I feel they easily contend in the top tier of universals, plus they offer customization ability and user friendly features like a cord that in addition to being detachable it swivels 360 degrees so it can easily be worn straight down or over the ear. Overall a design that has been very well thought out and sounds amazing.

Apr 6, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 6
I really enjoy my SE530, especially for metal/pop, but for your preferred genres, I would seriously consider the Triple.fi 10 (which is what I presume you meant). They are a little more laid back, have amazing clarity, and are better balanced when presenting the whole sonic spectrum, especially with the high highs. So they might work the best for classical and jazz, and work very well for everything else. And I am only comparing them to the SE530, as I have no experience with the other IEM's.

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 6
why not consider ER-4p, they fit your music pretty well. You don't need the extra booming bass provided by the Shures or the triple fis. Why sacrifice detail for bass you don't want?

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JGP08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really enjoy my SE530, especially for metal/pop, but for your preferred genres, I would seriously consider the Triple.fi 10 (which is what I presume you meant). They are a little more laid back, have amazing clarity, and are better balanced when presenting the whole sonic spectrum, especially with the high highs. So they might work the best for classical and jazz, and work very well for everything else. And I am only comparing them to the SE530, as I have no experience with the other IEM's.

This is a great help and I appreciate the advice! Yep, I must have been tired when I posted, should have been the triple.fis. Unlike my headphones, I can only justify one pr IEMs so they need to sound well across all/most music genres. One reason I'm not considering the ER4s.

I take it the highs aren't rolled off as reported on the SE530? How would you describe the bass on the triple.fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back