Another Greenhorn Seeking Headphone Advice - Versatility Around 200$?
Feb 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #16 of 25
I would also consider IEMs. Commuting with headphones is troublesome to say the least. Not to mention when you're not using them, they needed to be stored somewhere. Open headphones do leak a fair bit, but not as much as some people think that they do. At medium volumes in a vibrating bus, there is not that much leakage. I've used the Q701 once on a bus, just to test, and I didn't hear my music when I took them off. 
If you consider IEMs, I would also recommend Etymotic. I don't own a pair, but very much so want a pair. Their higher end offerings sound great (so do their lower end), and hvae a claimed 85% accuracy. So they're pretty much an all rounder if you're looking for one. 
The isolation is as good as they say it is, pretty much amazing blocking off almost all external noise. But that can be dangerous while walking/ crossing roads.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #17 of 25
  If you consider IEMs, I would also recommend Etymotic. I don't own a pair, but very much so want a pair. Their higher end offerings sound great (so do their lower end), and have a claimed 85% accuracy. So they're pretty much an all rounder if you're looking for one.

"
The K701, to my ears, is the Etymotic of full size headphones." Google the author because we are shamefully forbidden to link to his site.

But they're not all rounders, any more than I think K702 is.

ER4S and its variants don't sound so much better than HF5 and its variants, but they're much better built.

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #18 of 25

"
The K701, to my ears, is the Etymotic of full size headphones." Google the author because we are shamefully forbidden to link to his site.

But they're not all rounders, any more than I think K702 is.

ER4S and its variants don't sound so much better than HF5 and its variants, but they're much better built.

Didn't know about that first quote, that's very interesting. I will definitely look it up, thanks :)

And I did know about that etymotic stuff though. All their products are rated for 85% accuracy. My friend has the Ety dynamics and says that they are very comparable to the ER-4 offering that he owns (not sure which one). But the ER-4 has better build quality, as well as quality control during manufacturing. 

If you don't decide on headphones, get the Etys, the HF5 is only $150 I think and you heard it here that it's similar to the ER-4 :) 

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #19 of 25

"

Well the quote comes from the legend himself. 
Side note: It's very sad that he vanished. I really wanted see what he thought of more recent offerings. His services to the community will be missed.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #20 of 25
Well the quote comes from the legend himself. 
Side note: It's very sad that he vanished. I really wanted see what he thought of more recent offerings. His services to the community will be missed.

Yeah. I'm sure he has his reasons, and I respect that. But it's harder here without him and I'm still waiting for the ODA.

Feb 28, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 25
Yeah. I'm sure he has his reasons, and I respect that. But it's harder here without him and I'm still waiting for the ODA.

It is a lot harder without him. Not many people consistently do measurements who I believe that I can trust (not sponsored, or who endorse any other companies/people). He really showed that he was in it for the passion and not the money and I have a lot of respect for that
As someone who is also looking for an amp/dac combo at the moment, I was looking at the Magni/Modi stack and the O2+ODAC but in reality, I really want to wait for what his desktop setup he was working on to see what it would offer. I feel as if the desktop version would have been the best thing under $300. I really want to wait for him to come back and the hopeful part of me says that he will, but the realistic side of me feels as if he never is.
Sorry for the side track.

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #23 of 25
I am thinking I want to stay away from IEMs. This 85% accuracy that you mentioned though - how do the other headphones mentioned in this thread compare to this? SRH840s for example?

I understood that the HF5 is 85% as accurate as ER4P.

SRH840 (V-shaped) sounds very different from Etys (neutral).

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 25
I ordered a pair of the 840s base on your recommendation and other reviews on the inter-webs. I am hoping they turn out. I also got the FiiO E7 DAC/Amp just cause. 50$ above budget. Updates to come. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #25 of 25
OK. Looking forward to it. Burn in as usual, various music and pink noise (http://simplynoise.com/) at a little louder than normal volume.

Remember you might want to mod the headband one of these days, if you decide to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back