another episode of Braver's complete lack of basic DIY knowledge...
Oct 30, 2001 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
just checking if I'm wiring these things right. is this okay (check attachment in next post
smily_headphones1.gif
) read through some stuff, but couldn't find it.

jeez I feel silly
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 7
LOL! I saw the title of the thread and thought "Man, someone must really have it out for Braver!"

Then I read the author
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 7
ah thanks, skip
smily_headphones1.gif

man, I don't know how some people do it. they post their first topic in the DIY area, like "hey guys, just finished my CMOY, took two days" and show pics of the best looking amps with absolute clean soldering, while I have to ask just about everything about everything
frown.gif

Oct 31, 2001 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 7
If you can master the 'Blob' method of soldering, 'rat's nest' wiring, live through the lead poisoning from holding solder in your mouth, (demetia is OK, and to be preferrred), lose all feeling for temperature in your finger tips from a) soldering irons, b) touching parts to see if they are hot (they will be), warming parts up that you have hit with cool juice to check for thermal problems, trim your nails (and nose hair) with your dikes, and understand that 'ground' is something that you grow petunias in, Then you will be a technicians worst nightmare, not be allowed in manufacturing (let alone the parts bins), have your picture on accounting's dart board, cause the marketing types to tear their hair out, and call yourself an engineer.

It sounds like you are well on the way, keep up the (not so) good work.

Nov 1, 2001 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 7
The key thing is patience. While I was waiting for my parts to arrive, I read and re-read the circuit diagrams a few times, trying to visualize what the circuit looked like. When I got the components, I had to hold back my compulsion to finish it quickly. I planned out the board fairly carefully (could have done a lot better though!) and practiced soldering on the exposed tips of scrap wire, as was suggested elsewhere on this board. That said, I screwed up two cases while drilling them, because I was not patient enough. The Radio Shack people were starting to look at me funny after I came back one too many times for the same item.

Also, really take the time to understand what you're doing... it will pay off in many ways. You'll then be able to debug the circuit just by looking at it and tracing the various paths. When you can do that (and the soldering), this will be easy for you.

Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
ah thanks, skip
smily_headphones1.gif

man, I don't know how some people do it. they post their first topic in the DIY area, like "hey guys, just finished my CMOY, took two days" and show pics of the best looking amps with absolute clean soldering, while I have to ask just about everything about everything
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back