(Another) Emu 0404 to external DAC setup question!
Oct 1, 2004 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Distroyed

1000+ Head-Fier
Alright, so I just got my Dac1, hooked up via coax (rca) until my toslink arrives. I have my AUdigy2 looped to the Emu via the rca digital input. I can get either the Asio out to the Dac OR the audigy2, but not both at the same time, as I could when I was using the analog outs of the card. The signal is being received (as shown by the volume level in the Patchmix DSP), but it's not being sent out. Is this card capable of mixing multiple sources before sending to a digital out connection?? If so, how do I set up the Sends in order to do this? I want Wave L/R, PCI Card Spdif L/R, and Asio 1/2 all to go to my spdif out.

Oct 1, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 9
Try putting a SEND to SPDIF on the main insert not a strip one.

Oct 1, 2004 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 9
It is called... new toy excitement.
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 9
Can you use the DAC1 as master clock to slave other devices? If so you can try

DAC1 master clock, emu as slave via SPDIF
DAC1 master clock, emu internal clock.
DAC1 slave, emu master

Just try which you like better.

Oct 2, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 9
Digital uses clocks and you want to choose the best sounding one. Ideally you'd also want all items using the same clock as reference. The sound would possibly be clearer and you wouldn't get clicks/pop from different clocks but consider

- DAC1 reclocks and isn't a true slave to the source
- SPDIF sucks and having the emu recover the clock from SPDIF may be worst than emu's internal cloock.

There are no definite rules. Just try it out to see which sounds best in your system.

Oct 2, 2004 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the exegesis.
At this point, I can't tell the difference...maybe once I become more familiar with the sound of the dac I'll be able to.

Does anyone who has the dac1 know if it's normal and safe for the dac to be running pretty hot all the time and allowing it to run 24/7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back