Another DAC Question, Would You Buy A DAC if you were me?
Oct 8, 2006 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Hershon2000

100+ Head-Fier
I currently am very happy with my CD sound which I play from my Vintage pioneer Elite CD-59 player to my Denon 3801 A/V receiver which is connected by Optic Cable. Thus I'm using the Receivers DAC. I don't listen using headphones & prefer to listen to my regular CD's in the 5.1 all natural stereo mode (the center speaker is mono & my 2 fronts, 2 rears & subwoofer are regular "natural" outputs. To me this gives the sound more depth & I am very happy with the sound it produces. My question is, will adding a DAC, improve my audio sound further or is this always, hit or miss? If it does, what DAC's would you recommend that I can get used on Ebay or Audiogon for $100-$250, I don't care if its an older model if it will serve to tweak the audio & make it better. What about for New models under $400? Thanks for any advice/recommendations. Note, I can still listen to CDs at 5.1 using a seperate DAC on my receiver set up. You might not agree with how I listen to CD's, which I don't have a problem with, but my listening habits aren't going to change. I will be the first to admit that when I used the PD-59's DAC with this receiver, it didn't sound as good.

Oct 8, 2006 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hershon2000
I currently am very happy with my CD sound which I play from my Vintage pioneer Elite CD-59 player to my Denon 3801 A/V receiver which is connected by Optic Cable. Thus I'm using the Receivers DAC. I don't listen using headphones & prefer to listen to my regular CD's in the 5.1 all natural stereo mode (the center speaker is mono & my 2 fronts, 2 rears & subwoofer are regular "natural" outputs. To me this gives the sound more depth & I am very happy with the sound it produces. My question is, will adding a DAC, improve my audio sound further or is this always, hit or miss? If it does, what DAC's would you recommend that I can get used on Ebay or Audiogon for $100-$250, I don't care if its an older model if it will serve to tweak the audio & make it better. What about for New models under $400? Thanks for any advice/recommendations. Note, I can still listen to CDs at 5.1 using a seperate DAC on my receiver set up. You might not agree with how I listen to CD's, which I don't have a problem with, but my listening habits aren't going to change. I will be the first to admit that when I used the PD-59's DAC with this receiver, it didn't sound as good.

IMHO, if you enjoy a multichannel mix, stick with what you have. I would never spend a lot of money on a music multichannel system. Now, if you were to go two channel and not the Denon I would definately say yes. Personally, I would take a good two channel rig over a Denon receiver multichannel rig any day. I even prefer my movies through a good two channel rig. I find the better imaging more that makes up for the surround sound and sounds more realistic and exciting on all but a few movies. To get a surround rig to sound as good as a $2000 stereo rig costs thick bread IMHO. I guess what I am saying is that a DAC upgrade can make a huge differece. But try borrowing a decent two channel amp/preamp or int. amp and just run two speakers with you player. If you can borrow a DAC too it would also help to see what I mean.

When I had my NAD/Paradigm surround system I compared it to a NAD C350 int. amp and the same Paradigm towers. I sold the whole system and am now in search of my new two channel rig that I will likely DIY. I have been without a speaker system for a few years now. How you might ask, I found Headfi and am in love with my cans for music and movies. Watching movies with my cans is surreal. I have heard the same in a good two channel rig for movies and will not likely ever buy a surround system again.

But if you are happy, spend your money on music!

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 5
Firstly DACs are hit and miss. The thought that an external DAC sounds better than internal ones are fallacies in every concievable way from an economic, physical, and electrical engineering point of view.

If you listen to music from a computer buy a DAC, if you listen to music from CDs then buy a good cdplayer. If you listen to surround I think you're screwed in any event because surround sound external DACs are few and far between, but they do exist. I'd stick with your denon setup.

Oct 8, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie
I even prefer my movies through a good two channel rig.

What do you use to downmix a 5.1 digital stream to 2-channel?

To the original poster: Since you listen to multi-channel, and you said you're enjoying it, I don't see much reason to do anything. But if you wanted to try out 2-channel, I'd say it's worth experimenting with some used dac's, either here or from audiogon. If you don't like them you can sell them. I found a $250 dac to be a nice improvement, as described here/

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt
What do you use to downmix a 5.1 digital stream to 2-channel?

To the original poster: Since you listen to multi-channel, and you said you're enjoying it, I don't see much reason to do anything. But if you wanted to try out 2-channel, I'd say it's worth experimenting with some used dac's, either here or from audiogon. If you don't like them you can sell them. I found a $250 dac to be a nice improvement, as described here/

My DVD player downmixes almost all movies to two channel if I use the analog stereo output and many have a Dolby 2.0 option. I am happy with the sound of movies through the internal DAC on the Philips player. I have never had the urge to try and use an external DAC for movies because I always used a NOS DAC. When I get the Presonus Central Station, I will try movies through the DAC on it but I don't think the player will downmix out the digital out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back