Analogue / tube sounding SS amp recommendations.
Sep 25, 2023 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

igniter

Head-Fier
Looking for a analogue/tubey sounding SS amplifier- any recommendations come to mind. If anything so calm down higher frequencies range - smooth out treble.
Price point btn $1,000 - $2,000.
Thanks

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 6
Take a look at the Ferrum Oor or iFi Pro iCAN, used.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Sorry for OT, please delete the post if it's not okay:
Genuine question from someone new to Head-Fi; Why not just get a tube amp, if this is the sound you want?

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry for OT, please delete the post if it's not okay:
Genuine question from someone new to Head-Fi; Why not just get a tube amp, if this is the sound you want?
Great question I have a tube but was looking for SS as an alternative option to drive 1000SE and other cans. But use 1000SE mainly on tubes. I like the more analogue / musical not super clean / linear sounding amps.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Great question I have a tube but was looking for SS as an alternative option to drive 1000SE and other cans. But use 1000SE mainly on tubes. I like the more analogue / musical not super clean / linear sounding amps.
Thanks a lot for your answer, I really appreciate that 🙂 I hope others can give more input in what amplifier suits your preference.

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 6
Many vintage receivers have a warm, tube-like sound. Unfortunately planar headphones do not work well on most vintage gear, whereas high impedance dynamic driver headphones sound glorious.

If you're looking for strictly a HP amp, I would read up on the Violectric line, namely the v281 and the v222. The v222 just popped up on Drop yesterday and the now discontinued v281 was given a new life by Power Holdings in N.J., who somehow convinced Violectric to build them 100 v281 units. Pre-order is available on Power Holdings website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back