Analog Devices AD1896 vs. Cirrus Logic CS4398
Mar 2, 2008 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mikeg88

Head-Fier
I am a bit stuck on this one. I mostly play music on my computer, out the USB and through a BitHead. Since the BitHead supports 16 bit audio, and all my music is 16/48, it works fine. But let's say I wanted to go up to the Ultra Micro or desktop amps. Since the desktop amp uses the home module, which is 24-bit, Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC, would my songs be upconverted, stay the same, or would they not work at all? Would I be better off with the Ultra Micro (Analog Devices AD1896 DAC) that DOES upconvert from 16 to 24 bits? Thanks.

P.S. how do you get 24 bit audio on your computer? Aren't all CD's 16 bit?

Mar 3, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 3
The home module does not up convert but the CS4398 is compatible with all common formats UP TO 24 bit 192kHz. Which means that 16 bit 44.1kHz stuff (cds) would play fine. The Ultra Micro with the AD1896 chip up samples all incoming stuff to 24 bit 192kHz. Please note that the upsampling does not turn everything into a perfect 24/192 source. It smooths things over so that it sounds more tube like, very pleasant sounding yes but does not create instant SACD sound. Also please take notice that the USB input on the Micro DACs uses the same TI PCM2902 USB to S/PDIF chip which is only compatible up to 16bit 48kHz. I'm not sure what the other higher end DACs use for their USB input. The Ultra Micro DAC and Max DAC have both the AD1896 and the CS4398. The Analog Devices chip does the sample rate converting, and then sends the higher rate data to the CS4398 for conversion to an analog signal.

Also if you want 24 bit stuff on your computer you'll have to get a hold of high quality SACD rips or something else in that. These usually come in the form of FLACs. (FreeLosslessAudioCodec)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back