"Analog CD" isn't that n oxymoron?
Nov 7, 2003 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
How can CD's be analog if they playback digitally and are digitally decoded? Just curious...seems weird to me.

Nov 7, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 5
CDs have to be converted to analog so we can hear them, hence DACs in machines. You can't just listen to a transport. Also, the 2 cables you are using are analog cables, transmitting the analog feed to an amp to speakers. CDs are digitally recorded, but you have to convert it to analog to be heard.

Nov 7, 2003 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I thought an anolog cd meant the original source was recorded with analog equipment. Cd's used the have AAD printed on them. The 1st letter of for the source, the second for the mixing (I think), and the third, the transfer. The third letter was always D. By the late 80's, you started to see DDD on the CDs. How exciting.

Nov 7, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 5
You are referring ot the way the CD was recorded, you can record a CD analog, well not the CD the music on it, in an analog way or digital since the beginning, that is what the ADD, DDD, AAD means: analog analog, digital........analog, digital, digital....digital, digital, digital....that means: the recording, the mixing, and the cd recording IIRC or latest transfer, it can't be AAA for sure, if is a CD....as the latest has to be a Digital one....

Nov 8, 2003 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by MD1032
How can CD's be analog if they playback digitally and are digitally decoded? Just curious...seems weird to me.

Context?

Basically, you're right, they're digital.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back