analog and digital at the same time?
Sep 3, 2004 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

schapman

100+ Head-Fier
If I hook up the digital connecter from an audigy 2 zs to the digital input of my home audio receiver. Then also hookup the analog connectors to the 6 channel input on the receiver. Can I have them both working at different time without jumping through hoops.

example:

set the soundcard to 5.1 non digital so I get all the EAX 4.0 goodies for games through my speakers

set powerdvd to spdif only to just get the digital signal for my external DAC to decode so I get sexy sounding music and dvds.

Sep 4, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 7
The short answer to your question is: YES

I have the Audigy 2. Assuming the ZS is the same, you can have both the digital out and the analogue out working at the same time. So you could just switch between them on your receiver whenever you like.

Sep 4, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 7
AFAIK, the A2 ZS will be OK with outputing the audio from DVDs which is at 48kHz. However there will be resampling issues with CD audio which is at 44.1kHz.

Have you already bought the A2 ZS ?

Sep 4, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 7
havent got it yet. I need something where I can output in coax, so I'm also thinking about the M-AUDIO REVOLUTION 7.1.

Sep 5, 2004 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Personally, I wouldn't get an Audigy 2 right now for several reasons. I don't have time right now to go into it in too much depth but in brief:

For sound quality the Revo is significantly better by both analogue and digital outs (I have owned both and done direct comparisons). Admittedly, the A2 is the best for gaming, but Creative are about to release a new card in the next couple of months.

If I were you I would either wait and see what Creative's new card is like or get the Revo. Or as a temporary measure while you wait for something better, you could consider the Chaintech, as it reportedly sounds better than the A2 and costs only $25. It all depends on what your priorities are I guess with respect to gaming vs DVDs vs music, but no matter what, I think now is probably a bad time to get an A2.

Sep 6, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 7
well, the one reason I was leaning against an audigy is the horrible drivers I've had to deal w/ in the past from creative (sb live plat 5.1). So I'm more than open to switching, and as far as gaming goes I can always use the onboard (soundstorm) for gaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back