Amphion speakers
May 10, 2008 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been trying to keep up with new product announcements from HeadRoom, and was really elated to see the addition of Amphion Ion speakers to the lineup. I'm not sure to what extent these speakers have been exported from Finland to the US market, but all I can say is that this was one excellent choice! These are very popular speakers here in Finland (well, they're made here after all), and I've had the chance to audition them with some nice home CD players and amps, and all I can say is it that they are amazing!

Since I live in Finland, it looks like I can't buy these from HeadRoom, but they're locally available anyway. What I do wonder is whether any other Finnish-made near field monitors were evaluated and considered as well, as I'd like to eventually expand my desktop system to include some smallish speakers. Specifically, I wonder how some of the smaller Genelec (also Finnish) powered monitors might fare in a similar setup.

I do hope the various desktop packages sell well, and I wish I could hear one for myself. Very nice choice in speakers, HeadRoom!

May 12, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
all I can say is it that they are amazing!

That's a good word for it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska
Specifically, I wonder how some of the smaller Genelec (also Finnish) powered monitors might fare in a similar setup.

I do hope the various desktop packages sell well, and I wish I could hear one for myself. Very nice choice in speakers, HeadRoom!

We have the Genelecs here and while I think they are among the best of the self-powered speaker lot, they just aren't nearly a good as when you pair the Amphions (or Harbeths) with the outboard amps. The Genelecs sounded hard and edgy in comparison, in my opinion; an opinion that was shared pretty broadly here at HeadRoom.

May 14, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they just aren't nearly as good as when you pair the Amphions (or Harbeths) with the outboard amps.

I think you guys are definitely on to something with these desktop setups, Tyll. I haven't heard the Amphions in a near-field setup (only in a listening room), but my interest is more than piqued. And even more since you have actually done some comparisons with Genelecs.

May 15, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 5
OT but what the heck. Tyll, you should try some System Audio SA505 or
SA705s in your desktop rig. I will eventually go that route with mine. I've owned both in the past and they are great for the price.

May 19, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks Mike, but we're gong to pretty stirictly limit how many speakers we carry. The company line is going to be, "We're headphone geeks, so, while we have a couple of recommendations, we think people might want to consider spending some time with their local audio dealer investigating some near field speakers." But, I've got to tell you I spent a lot of time listening to small speakers over the last 5 years and those Amphions and the Hareths are just outstanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back