Amp to Earphone matching?
Feb 8, 2009 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kboe

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Headroom and guys,
Two or so years ago I ordered my beloved Shure e4cs from Headroom and have had a sonically charged romance with them ever since. But old age and a hard life of wear and tear have taken their toll. Their forming cracks and tears all up and down the cable and I fear they wont last much longer though I treat them with care.
My goal over the next month or so is to find a replacement that I will enjoy as much. I do own the Shure se530s but I find them slightly too dark and distracting with some of my music. The thing I loved about e4cs was their tonal balance, it was just right for me. Nothing sounded bloated or veiled, forced or unwilling, but perfectly right up the middle.
To drive these replacement ear-canal phones I have the Total Airhead and wanted everyones opinion on what in their experience 1) mates well with the Airhead/Bithead, and 2) has a very well balanced, non-bloated sound signature and 3) is a portable/ear-canal phone. My thoughts so far tend to make me lean towards the Etymotic ER-4S with perhaps custom ear-molds made later.
I know thats a lot of stipulations, but to simplify, a portable phone with a warm, tonally balanced sound, not too dark, not too bright, but just right!

And oh yeah, Headroom must sell them or I'll die with no replacements, period!!!
beyersmile.png

Thanks,
Kevin

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And oh yeah, Headroom must sell them or I'll die with no replacements, period!!!
beyersmile.png

Thanks,
Kevin

I didn't have a portable rig and have one in the making. I'm now waiting for my Westone 3 IEM's and RSA P-51 Mustang to get to me.
darthsmile.gif

It's good not to be too incestuous. You get to better appreciate HeadRoom stuff and where they stand among the other offerings. However, I can certainly appreciate your wanting to stick to the gear offered by them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Oh I know, but basically if I can buy it from them I will, I just wish they still sold UE phones. I look at tons of other sellers and their products and would kill to have any of them, but if headroom sells the headphones, I'll order it from them. I had a scare today, I thought my e4cs died completely, turns out the amp just ran out of batteries. Whoa was that scary!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back